40mm bath waste into existing cast iron tee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, could you help me out with the correct method of installing a bath waste into the above? I've attached a picture of my horizontal 40mm waste pipe dry fitted into the existing cast iron tee. I have cut back some of the stuff (hemp?) that was wrapped around the old waste. I suppose if I can get the pipe in far enough it cannot leak unless there is a blockage lower down the cast iron waste but I would like to seal it up properly. the outside diameter of the cast iron that the plastic pipe enters is 56mm

Attachments

• 20150617_130652[1].jpg
    20150617_130652[1].jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The metal pipe is below, presumably cast iron. I wanted to remove it all so you could see but that tape is really tough, didn't have a knife with me to remove it

20150617_130644.jpg
this might be clearer

Attachments

• 20150617_130644.jpg
    20150617_130644.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
If the exposed pipe is cast and firmly jointed into the stack then probably the simplest solution would be a Fernco reducing coupler http://www.flexseal.co.uk/products/flexible-couplings/
If the existing fittings are not in good nick then it means going back to the stack, removing the existing fitting and using a cast-to-plastic adapter

This is what it looks like cleaned up, guess I can just get rid of the extension bit that I'm holding up in the the picture and use a fernco coupler? Pipe has 60mm diameter
20150618_114517.jpg

That looks like it's an old piece of lead waste pipe that is fixed into the cast branch. If so (is it soft?) be careful connecting a fernco to it as it will be easy to over-tighten and deform the lead, stopping it from sealing correctly. Give it a good clean too with some 120grit.

I think the OP is holding a lead thingy made to sort of fit onto a plastic pipe in the iron socket - so go ahead with the fernco or a mc alpine universal if one fits:notworthy:

Nice one guys, it is a lead extension onto the iron. Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back