How to Repair Hold in Wooden Ceiling Panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I'm a DIY newbie and would like to know how you would go about repairing the below hole in a wooden ceiling panel. The wooden panel is about 8mm thick.

What are my options?

Thanks

hole-repair.jpg

Sponsored Links
Very difficult to do an invisible repair I'm afraid. Probably your best option is to splice in a small piece of timber and paint it and some of the surrounding timber to look like a knot.

It's close to the edge , remove and replace and restain, result should be perfect. ;)

Another thought
remove the light switch and fit a large wooden patress to cover the holes and refit the switch in the center of the patress.

Sponsored Links
Another thought
remove the light switch and fit a large wooden patress to cover the holes and refit the switch in the center of the patress.

A good idea, but I'm not qualified to move electrical points.

Any more ideas? How about I go up to the attic and put some board behind the hole, and then use filler to fill in the whole, and then try and paint it to the same colour?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Painting to look like wood is an option IF you are a good painter. I work with an old chap that would be able to do that sort of thing but it's very difficult if you haven't any experience and probably would cost an arm and a leg for a professional.
Another option?
Similiar to my last , how about putting up a smoke alarm and covering the hole?

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't put a smoke alarm up because this hole is right next to a shower.

Rgds

Ok if you put up a Smoke Detector with batteries in in a shower area ?

What about putting the Smokie in place, but do not fit batteries?

Hopefully you will have other smoke detectors in other areas? If not good idea to get some.

In so many words fit a dummy detector over the hole?

The hole is approx 20cm away from the shower enclosure, i.e. right next to it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want to fit a false smoke alarm just to cover the hole, I would rather try and repair the hole and make it look like the wood, not an easy task I know.

Rgds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back