How to repair - render process?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :)

Trying to fix a longstanding problem. But a bit of background first.
Block-built and rendered porch at the front of the house, render finishes about 10" short of the ground. Blocks painted black at ground level.
I couldn't find out why the blocks in the one corner of the porch were spalling - see picture.
Eventually worked out it was a leaking ch pipe joint beneath the floor of the porch - the water was soaking through the blockwork from the inside, then freeze-thawing on the outside, causing the spalling.

Leak stopped, so no more water soaking the blocks. Blocks have been scrubbed back to sound surface.

What mix, technique, and process should I use to patch repair this with render? I've never done it before, so I need even the basics explaining.
I'm guessing I'd have to soak the blocks first (reduce suction). Would it be a two-coat job? What mixes to use? What is the consistency of mix I'd need? I guess too creamy would slump?
It'll be painted later with black masonry paint, to blend in.

Thanks in anticipation
:) :)
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Are you just wanting to repair the black painted area beneath the bell cast bead?
This does not want or need a two coat finish, maybe a little repair work the to brickwork but no more than that.
But to be honest, I would just remove any flaky paint work or loose materials and paint it, you will gain little be doing the repair other than asthetics.

Why dont you get yourself a packet of ready mixed "quick drying mortar" you just add water and mix it up. This stuff is usually used for quick repairs where you want the stuff to go off quickly,ie. gulleys and broken drains. Just clean off your walls with a wire brush get all loose stuff off then damp the blocks down then trowel your muck on(you dont need to put it on too thick) and leave for a while then with a damp sponge gently sponge it in one direction till you get the trowel marks out. You could also cut a bit of batten and put it up the corner of the wall before you start and make the corner good. Put a board on the path in the area that you are working to save any staining, and keep mess to a minimun. ;) Good Luck....

Sponsored Links
Thanks too, Roy :)

Went for the corner repair, quick-set ready-mix for drains n' pools, and brick-troweled it on. Not a bad job for a rookie bodger, if I do say so myself - I even put some poly over it, to stop it drying too quickly :)
First coat of black masonry paint tonight - looking ok

Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back