How to secure 120cm aluminum framed door in a 126cm gap ??

SFK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
To maximize light and improve view of garden I am looking to replace an old 'uPVC French double door' with a 'single Aluminum Framed door'.
This is an outside rear door.
I want as much glass as possible with the least amount of frame (the uPVC french door is all frame).

I have some DIYer experience of putting in uPVC doors and windows.
But these have all been made-to-fit for the the hole and so easy for me to secure normally using framing screws.
And I have never fitted an aluminum framed glass door

The issue is that my brick framed hole is 1260mm wide, but the widest aluminum framed glass door I can get is 1200mm.
I cannot find any Aluminum Framed doors wider than 1200mm.
So there is a total gap of 60mm, normally resulting in a 30mm gap on the left and right of the door.

This door will be heavy when opened and I am worried how best to secure the door to the brick surround with this large gap.

This is the type of door I am wanting to fit (not bought it yet).
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 17.59.29.png

Any best fit suggestions to secure this 120cm aluminum framed door in a 126cm gap please??

Thanks, SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Stick with hardwood and long screws to secure the frame. If you are not bothered about centration, perhaps the 60mm gaps can be on the side of the door handle.

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
Many thanks to both.
Was looking at steel rectangular box section.
And also at hardwood - so glad I am looking at correct direction.
Sfk

Sponsored Links
Steel box section may be strong but mounting to wall may be easy, the door mounting to box may bring its challenges.

• Thanks
75 x 25mm softwood packer either side or whatever is needed to match frame depth, shim up and foam

then fit matching aluminium cover trims

just a thought: you need to make sure the door cill supplied is long enough, same with any head trim supplied.

• Thanks
door cill supplied is long enough
Notch, with thanks for that.
Good point about the Door Cill, reminded me that was planning to slightly over wide so can have it a cm or two over the surrounding wall (have a notch cut taken out on each side). Will have to reconsider that as might look overwide with the cover trims also in place.
Many thanks, SFK

the door mounting to [steel] box may bring its challenges

Vizo,
I would normally use self tappers (into pilot holes) into steel box Section. .
But, you are correct about challenges as never done that with a door before as normally have allowed a bit of slack for thermal expansion of (uPVC) frame.
Looking as if the wood is the correct route. With wood I can affix to the wall at many multiple point to distribute the load of the door.

Thanks SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back