How to sister a joist and connect to wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to sister a joist and ideally attach it to the wall somehow also.

The existing joist goes into a hole in the wall.

Is there any kind of bracket or joist plate that would allow me to attach to the wall and also have the 2 joists right next to each other with no gap so that I can bolt them securely together?

The only possibility I have found is this and I then cut off one side.

Any ideas please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230515-153940_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230515-153940_eBay.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Pointless bolting together if they are placed in tandem and both supported at the ends as it will add nothing extra structurally

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Inam only planning to add a new piece at one end to strengthen part that has partially rotted, not do it full length.

Just cut off the rotted end, insert a new joist into the existing pocket that butts up against the remaining joist and splice/sister either side of the join.

Thanks for your help, is there any way of supporting it by strapping to the joists either side, as I cant prop it up from below.

It's not a very long joist maybe 6foot span in total.

Pointless bolting together if they are placed in tandem and both supported at the ends as it will add nothing extra structurally
Maybe, but you seem to be assuming that the original joist is as straight as the new sister. Sadly, that is rarely the case, at least not in my world. So in order to get the sister joist to do it's job standard joinery practice has been to bolt the two together. That way the old joist can remain connected to the existing (and often bowed) floor, whilst the new timber carries the load and transmits it into the walls or other supporting structure(s) at the ends

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back