How to store timber to stop twisting/bowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I've bought in some 45 x 145 C24 timber for the roof joists of the workshop I'm building.

Out of 17 lengths I've got 5 lengths which have twisted about 20mm over the 3.6m length. The timber merchant appears to be happy to replace but how do I store them as the rest are now cut to length ready for fixing which hopefully will be in the next few days or latest next weekend.

So far I've found a flat area (our top patio deck!!) and then put down battens, one each end and one in the middle and then placed the timbers on their edge. Should I store laid on the larger face?

Thinking about once they are fixed should I fit more noggins to prevent twist once fixed?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Ideally don't purchase until you are ready, then noggins will prevent twisting.
Store flat well supported to allow air around, you can put a clamp across to prevent twisting while stored.

pot luck really sheets flat and well supported
you could store it like you would in air drying in stacks with batons every 8 to 10"

but to be honest 20mm over 3.6m is not a lot
you just select the best for the longest and the worst for the shorter lengths
if a length has got several defects like an elbow around a knot just mark the defects and cut the components from the good areas

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately my roof joists are 3.45m long so I need good reasonably straight timbers.

When the timber was delivered on Friday it felt very wet even though we haven't had a great deal of rain over the past few weeks. Is this possibly the preservative used by the manufacturer?

It all looked quite straight but since it has been laid out on battens on my back deck and dried out it has started to twist and some of them have started to crack along the centres.

I've now stored all the cut joists on their large face rather than the edge and piled them up high to add some weight and hopefully they won't move till I need them.

Should I fit a noggin near to each end and one in the centre?

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back