How to tackle an old paint that is peeling off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. This is in the garage and I don't know what paint exactly the previous people used. I have decided to revamp the space and to fix some shelves on the walls (with a brick behind), but first things first - decorating.

1. Is this a bare plasterboard underneath they painted with some silk paint? The paint has a fine sheen (I also have some silk paint). I suppose I will need a primer first otherwise the paint will start peeling off again from the plasterboard. It does it all over the place here and there, some areas stuck solid. The plasterboard is very smooth underneath.

2. is there an easy way to remove the old paint so it peels easier? Like spritzing with water and letting soak or something? I use a metal spatula. I fear that if I did not strip the paint off completely, it will start peeling off in those places sooner or later and ruin my effort. I don't think the primer would fix the previous paint that would start peeling off.

P1180379.JPG

Sponsored Links
Uni bond (use 1 part unibond and 3 parts water) the wall and that will seal it in.

Fill and sand any holes and go for it. Dont worry a out the old paint. Just scrape off any loose stuff but it's not important.

Emulsion over the top. With 3 to 4 coats
Use primer paints on wood work only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back