How to terminate unused wire in twin&e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to get an extra live to a led strip power supply so going to drop a 1mm twin & earth from the same room lighting circuit and to keep the extra protection keep it in the grey sheathing , so how would I terminate the unused wires N & E, in the old days in diy I would have just folded back and taped over but I now always ask here first ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
well you should connect the earth at one end to help protect the cable.

Not sure what you are doing. It's probably best to take the neutral from the same place to avoid a borrowed neutral. But not sure what you are doing

Hi i changed my old 2&e to new 3&e from ceiling rose to switch so I could have a neutral at the switch for smart lighting relays and all was fine, I now want to add top and bottom rgb light strips to my kitchen cupboards working from another switch now for this to work I need a permanent live to the drivers so I need to feed another live from the light switch to the drivers, so thought it easiest to drop a 1mm twin & earth from jb keep it in the outer sheath to protect it and just use the live from it, or I could use the neutral from the switch mark it up as live and drop an extra neutral

as you have a neutral at the switch, and obviously there is likely to be a live there too you could run it L & N from the switch ?
This would also give you the option of adding another switch for the new lights at a later date if you wanted.

I'm sure you know what your doing anyway

Sponsored Links
Decided in the end to run an extra live from the switch saves me working in the attic space in this weather.
Thanks

Not a sparkie.

ISTR that guidance says to terminate both unused ends and that ALL unused cables should be earthed at the source end (where the power comes from) and at the rmote end indicate that they are both earthed.

This is to prevent cross coupling and dangerous voltages being transferred to floating wires that can then cause a danger or cause interference to other circuits.

EDIT:Written at the same time as the above post.

Because I only wanted to run an extra live and thought to leave it inside the outer sheath along with the n&e dos added protection. But as always if I’m told to do it I will.
Thanks

I think you can still use a T&E cable but I'd do as suggested with the unused cores. You should have an earth at the switch.

If I understand this correctly you require L, SL, & N at the light.
You are running an extra cable from the switch to achieve the extra wire.
You have changed the cable to the switch as you require N at the switch.

I assume you have L & SL at the switch??

Ideally I'd prefer to replace the existing cable with a 3C&E but if it's not possible/convenient/ correcty solution etc and if I had L, SL & N at the switch and it is convenient to run a cable from the switch to the light, I'd run a 3C & E from the switch and retire the existing cable.

Swapped 2 core and earth to 3 core and earth from light to switch so I could have a neutral at the switch for a smart relay and this all worked fine. Now it’s a 2 gang switch so wanted to have control over 2 rgb light strips in kitchen so took a new 3 core and earth to the relays/ power supplies so used the 2nd switch from the first switches 3 core and e and via wago’s L1 switches top lights on and L2 switches bottom lights on and neutral goes to relays and power supplies. Now unfortunately the relays need a permanent live to them and that is why I asked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back