How to think this Deck stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning on restaining our deck, with a sprayer.
the stain may need to be thinned before.
What would you use to thin this product?

it says it is water based, can we just use some water? if so what type of ratio? (we've never used a sprayer before)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the previous finish on the deck? You may need to sand first.

Is there any point in spraying?

It really doesn't take long by brush, and you may get a better job, since you will be working close up, and you will notice imperfections as you go.

Easy boy. I've had my mum staying over.

The deck just needs freshening up. It's been 6 years and I'd like to preserve the wood and darken it for aesthetic reasons.

Quite happy to try out a spray as it's something new and will be a lot quicker over a large area.
So just trying to find out how to thin the liquid.

Attachments

• IMG_20220801_200757.jpg
    IMG_20220801_200757.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Typically you would thin a water-based paint with water...

Presumably there will be a fine grit in this paint which provides the anti=slip aspect, which could clog up the sprayer - but let's hope I'm completely wrong about that.

Do you have a sprayer yet, if so, what do you have?

Good point about the potential grit. Will do a test first. But on the websites Q+A, Screwfix says it is ok for spray, but we will check.
Not sure of the spray gun yet as its a friends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back