How to tile a floor thats half cement and half wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can shed some light. I've basically extended the kitchen out a little way into the hall and knocked down a wall to make an open plan kitchen diner, only now The kitchen floor is mainly Quarry tile but about 80cm out from the wall, floorboards.

The levels are all over the place, only im wanting to tile the complete floor! The problem i have is i obviously cant tile strait over the wood and quarry as once laid there will be lots of movement and i dont want cracks and damage appearing after the kitchen is finished being fitted. I also only want tiles in the kitchen not the diner, and the dining room floor is higher than the kichen by almost a cm. The dining room will have carpet.

So basically in the kithen i want one level surface that means there wont be any movement on the tiles and where once carpet is laid in the dining room the levels are nice and aligned as much as pos.

My only idea is to cover the complete kitchen floor with external grade ply but how thick should this be and is that a good idea or not?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you draw a little sketch and post it on here so we can see your layout and therefore be in a better position to advise?

Would love to but cant quite work out how to bring my jpeg sketch into the forum. There no attatch image button! Sorry

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back