How to vent underfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Customer has an oldish kitchen extension about 3m square.

Problem is mould in the kitchen cupboards, even in summer. (In winter, plinth heaters dry things out)

Reason seems to be lack of underfloor vents, the boards are about level with the paving outside.
It seems to be like this:
View media item 48897
I'm a plumber not a builder.
How can they get ventilation to the underfloor space, eg where the red arrow goes??
The paved area has drainage, so I don't think water's getting through the wall.

The "kitchen" the extension is built off is much larger, ~ 4m x 10m, and that does have original masonry grilles at the level where I've shown "render band". I assume there's some sort of Z shaped way through from those.
So it's this "sticking out" bit of the kitchen which has the problem.
Peering down though gaps between the boards under the K cupboards I can't see signs of damp.

Sponsored Links
Can't see it making any difference. The air would still be sluggish.

If that picture is correct the internal floor is below the DPC. How that passed building regs is a mystery.

I'm judging the dpc by a "slightly thicker" mortar course, visible in a doorway, so it could be wrong. But the outside and inside levels are almost the same, so there wouldn't have been much scope. It's all because the garden slopes up away from the house really.

No I don't suppose it had permissions or there would have been vents, but assuming nobody's going to knock it down, I'm hoping someone might have experience with something a bit like one of these:

http://www.manthorpe.co.uk/Building...Underfloor-Vents/Refurbishment-Weep-Vent.html

http://www.manthorpe.co.uk/Building...erfloor-Vents/Telescopic-Underfloor-Vent.html

Sponsored Links
First one's for venting the cavity retro on timber framed houses, but the second one might work.
The inside DPC should be below the bottom of the floor joists. The external ground level looks to be too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back