Underfloor ventilation conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So underfloor ventilation is necessary for suspended floors - be they timber or concrete. Our extension happens to be concrete beam and block. Fine then, telescopic vents would be the usual solution to bring the vents up from below the beams up to the outside walls above DPC level...

...Except... we have level thresholds and floor to ceiling glazing. In other words, no masonry above ground to install a vent into. The perimeter has A15 Channel Drainage to stop flooding from the surrounding patio surface. This must have been solved before, but I haven't found any solutions when searching online.

Sponsored Links
You are glazed on all sides?
Sounds very architectural so why has this not been solved in design?

Can't you extend the ventilation out from the house, under patio etc, then pop up in the garden?

a few of these among the terracotta pots on the patio?
82653759-232d-4f88-9dfb-ce8912145768_1024x1024.jpeg

https://www.roofingoutlet.co.uk/products/190-redbank-flue-ventilator-sailors-cap

Sponsored Links
You are glazed on all sides?
Sounds very architectural so why has this not been solved in design?
Architect never really surveyed the ground levels properly. Builders having to innovate on the fly.

Can't you extend the ventilation out from the house, under patio etc, then pop up in the garden?
Wow. That all seems like a lot of trouble to go to.
I understand that ventilation is to prevent build up of gases like methane/radon and to control moisture levels. Can't these be dealt with by using appropriate membranes or something?
Also, there's the possibility of breaking in below the concrete floor of the main building. This gets us into a space that is ventilated but I can imagine Building Control not being satisfied with the result.

so, I am guessing you are in a terrace with a conservatory style extension? There's no brickwork to put ventilation through?
If not a terrace, then extra ventilation on the sides might be possible? Photos?

so, I am guessing you are in a terrace with a conservatory style extension? There's no brickwork to put ventilation through?
If not a terrace, then extra ventilation on the sides might be possible? Photos?
Detached. Just a box sticking out of a gable end wall really. The objective was to open up to surrounding patio without change in level. Seen lots of glossy ads for this kind of home improvment but when I see detail for level thresholds, they draw them up against solid slab floors like this:

level-threshold-image.jpg

In that case, the old part of the house can have ventilation put in the sides. But, that diagram seems to show a slab, rather than a suspended block and beam floor. So should be OK?

What have Building Control said , and what does the architect say about this ?

In that case, the old part of the house can have ventilation put in the sides. But, that diagram seems to show a slab, rather than a suspended block and beam floor. So should be OK?
No, that diagram was the only example I could find detailing a level threshold. I found a few like that but they were all drawn for solid oversite slab. I'm beginning to think I'm blazing a trail here :eek:

Creating a suspended sub floor without any means of ventilation is certainly a problem. Was the project professionally designed, or was it a DIY job?

What stage of building are you at? Is it finished, or still just starting?

What have Building Control said , and what does the architect say about this ?
Hi Leofric, I'm waiting on word back from the Architect via the builder. Still on the lookout for crowd-wisdom in the meantime as I feel sure this must have been figured out before. Building control can be a bit random in my experience. I can see some unimaginative solution being presented like bringing up a couple of brick heights to form a low wall just for the vents. Don't want any of that.

Creating a suspended sub floor without any means of ventilation is certainly a problem. Was the project professionally designed, or was it a DIY job?

What stage of building are you at? Is it finished, or still just starting?
I paid an Architect several K so I hope it was professionally designed. The trouble is, they didn't account for the site levels which are sloping in all directions. New patios are not part of their plans which simply assume a level site 150 below existing dpc. At the moment we have foundations poured and the blocks laid to dpc height. Beams yet to go on. When the blocks got to dpc level it became apparent how the slope of the site favours a level threshold for the main opening onto the garden. If it was all set out as per the drawing the patio area would have to be sunk below ground level which is not something I want to see. Rather than excavate we would rather build-up where the ground falls and use perimeter drainage channels as per the glossy pic above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back