How to wire in seperate downlighters to seperate switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to put 6 downlighters into my kitchen replacing the existing ugly strip light thats in there.

I have traced all the current wiring and have drawn up what my new cabling will look like after ive replaced the strip with spots.

I am happy with it all apart from im not sure how to wire the 2 spotlights in the left hand side of the kitchen.

The 4 right hand spots in the kitchen are going to be controlled off the 2 switches over that side of the room (3c+e marked red in image)

The 2 spots on the left hand side i want completely separate and only to turn on off the switch on the far left of the kitchen.

Can somebody join the last piece of wire for me please?

Do i just "spur" off the middle bottom of the 6 spots over to the bottom left so they have a connection to the main radial run?

View media item 74796

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

It is doubtful if your layout is as you have shown (unless 3core+e throughout).

One light in each section must be connected as in the above link.

The additional ones in each section must be connected to the switched live plus neutral (and earth if used) of the first as there will be no permanent live at these positions.

I havnt put the actual L/N/SL/E connections in the picture if this is whats confusing matters.....

the grey lines are the 2c+e running from ceiling rose to ceiling rose loop in loop out,

green lines are the 2c+e running from ceiling rose to light switch

The red line is a new 3c+e that i was going to put in to link the existing switch and a new one to control the 4 spots.

Black box is the CU

Are you saying the wiring diagram is wrong?

This is what from chasing the cables around the floorboards is what i believe i currently have:

View media item 74800
Unless i have lost track of some cables along the way

I havnt put the actual L/N/SL/E connections in the picture if this is whats confusing matters.....
the grey lines are the 2c+e running from ceiling rose to ceiling rose loop in loop out,
green lines are the 2c+e running from ceiling rose to light switch
The red line is a new 3c+e that i was going to put in to link the existing switch and a new one to control the 4 spots.
Black box is the CU

Are you saying the wiring diagram is wrong?
Your first diagram is not possible with 2core+e.
Bear in mind that the permanent live is connected to the switches, not the actual lamps.

The second diagram is correct for the first light in each section.
Additional lights in each section will have to be connected to the first light (actual lamp connections, not the permanent live) using the SL, N & E,

This is what from chasing the cables around the floorboards is what i believe i currently have:
Correct.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to have supply in/out for each downlight. Where you have the pendant in the top left room going to the top right of the four down lights, you actually want to going to the one marked "1".

What I would actually probably do, depending on the cable route is have the supply out from the pendant going to the top of the two downlights on the left and from there to no. 1.

Likely you won't actually be able to loop at the actual downlight, due to it only having a tiny three way terminal block, so you'll need to use a maintenance free junction box, loop there and then run t&e from there to the downlights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back