How to wire up a spot light to existing light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit 3LV spot lights in the hallway!

There is an existing ceiling rose that i want to keep running as well. as the spots and switch on the same switch ! Can anyone explain how to wire it up.

I would be grateful for HELP

THANKS

Sponsored Links
A bit of clarity please.
Low voltage or extra low voltage, do the new lights have transformers?
And you want your existing light to switch on at the same time as the new spots, using the same single gang switch?

Thanks for the reply.
Low voltage, 60W dimmable electronic transformer.
And yes I would like the existing light to switch on at the same time as the new spot light using the same single gang switch.

And if you could kindly let me know which wires go where from the ceiling rose.

If you want to switch all on using the switch.
At the ceiling rose you will have four terminal points:

Which could possibly look like this
Live (which will have 2 ports, where the brown flex of the lamp and black or blue of your lighting circuit are terminated, normally identified with a red or brown sleeve over it.)

Neutral (3 ports, where blue flex of lamp and blacks or blues)

Loop (central terminal, where all live cores are terminated reds or browns)

Earth (CPC/Earths terminated, yellow/green)

If you wish the same single switch to operate this and new spots, run a 2 core and earth across them.
Connect the earth/CPC to that terminal on the rose, then the blue core to the neutral terminal of spots and neutral terminal of rose and the brown to the live terminal of spots and live terminal of rose(not the loop) if there are three individual spot lights, repeat this process across all of them earth-earth neutral-neutral and live-live terminals.

If the spots have transformers the cables are connected across the neutrals and lives of these, still connect your earths in a connection block to keep continuity.
Any joints of cables within the ceiling void must be accessible, so if these lights are downlights with transformers, the transformers and joints must be accessible through the hole made for the downlights.
Also if you must take in to consideration the spread of fire within the ceiling void, if there is living space above lights should be fire rated or have fire hoods.

Sponsored Links
If you can imagine it as being the standard white flex on a ceiling pendant, which connects to the lampholder.
The flex is terminated at the ceiling rose to the neutral and live terminals.
The cable you will install will do the very same thing, but I always suggests you keep the CPC/earth near each fitting, one for continuity readings and the other if you ever replace the lights with ones that need to connected to earth them this cable is there.

Can anyone explain how to wire it up.
It's already explained for you in the Wiki:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

as in

t2565752.jpg

And anyway - you've done this stuff before:

Trying to wire up a shad

Got 2X fluorescent lights for inside and x1 outside light (Not fluorescent) that needs to be wired up to a 1 gang 2 way switch

I have a main power board already fited inside

Can someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!! :?:
Did you not get this done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back