how was sandstone prepared for plastering 25 years ago

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, new member but have been pulling my hair out over diy projects for many years. I had my (1888) house renovated 25 years ago. I was considering leaving 2 uprights and a lintel (think its sandstone) surrounding the fireplace exposed but the builder had plastered over it when I got home from work.
Have suffered many cracks in the plaster in this area over the years so have decided to expose them. Stripped a small test area of plaster expecting to see stone but there's something that looks like paper and behind that some kind of gunk! Have tried paint strippers and then caustic soda. Would/might help if I new what was done . Failing that, any ideas please. Tricia53

Sponsored Links
is it plasterboard dabbed over blackjack, does the wall sound hollow when tapped? Are the cracks in straight lines or random? A picture would be really helpfull :)

1john
thanks for your reply. I'm pretty inexperienced in this media so not even sure if i'm replying to you in the right place! The cracks are varied, some straight lines presumabley where the uprights meet the lintel. It does sound hollow and I can hear where the stone ends and the brickwork begins. Nothing that looks like plasterboard unless it's changed dramatically in the last 25 years. The papery stuff could just be lining paper and the gunk behind resembles the imitation wood paint from the fifties and sixties. (a brown paint was given highlights to resemble wood grain. )I vividly remember the right hand pillar and there was nothing but beautiful stone with a few holes where a range had been fitted many years earlier. Unfortunately, my test area is on the other side but I think I would have noticed if there was anything different between them. Sorry, but learn how to put pictures into my laptop is on my list of things to do! Tricia53

I'm with our 1john here Tricia,,, if you can get a picture or two on here, it would be a great help. Keep trying!! ;)

Sponsored Links
hi roughcaster

tried taking photos with my mobile but not nearly clear enough. Maybe father christmas will bring me a digital camera :!:

Ok Trish,,,, maybe someone you know can take a pic or two for you with a digital camera. Hope we can help you out with your problem. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back