Howdens Dishwasher - replace / repair solenoid / inlet valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I have a slimline integrated dishwasher that suddenly stopped working after being fine for months. It's a Howdens / Lamona model HJA8362.

The lights work and you can start the programme going, but no water comes in. I've had the inlet pipe checked and water is going to the dishwasher. I've also had a bucket of water poured into it and when you start it the water drains away.

I phoned up Howdens helpline (who were actually very helpful). They said, from my description, it sounded like the inlet valve (and I commented that the Plumber I'd had take a quick look said that or the solenoid) and the person from Howdens said that they were basically the same thing.

I was then asked - "could the Plumber not fix that for you?" and I said that he couldn't, he had recommended an "appliance man" rather than himself, which is fine as he was only really taking a look for me.

That made me think this might not be a complicated thing to fix.

Howdens tell me it's a flat rate of £140 for them to send someone out and fix "any fault" and give me a 6 month warranty. That doesn't sound too bad... but if we're talking about a £10 part and me unplugging something and plugging a new one back in... well, I know what I'd like to try.

My question is - where do I start? Do I need to buy a specific spare part, from a specific place, or can I use any inlet valve from, say, Wickes or Plumbworld... do I need special skills and tools to do this job, or if I'm cleverer than a trained monkey, and I have all my fingers, should I be able to give this a shot with a bit of edu-cay-shun?

My other thought was... dump it and get a Bosch! Maybe that has merit too...

Sponsored Links
I have no experience of their machines but it's fairly simple & straightforward on most machines, a couple of screws to undo or a clip to remove after you've taken the top off.
If you google the make & model number & inlet valve you may get a hit. I always find White Goods UK pretty good, but there are lots of "other manufacturer" parts suppliers. You'll probably find a vid on you tube if you search for how to replace dishwasher inlet valve

Thank you. My own idle research led me to a similar kind of conclusion - yes, it could be done and, yes, it shouldn't cost too much if I could get the correct part.

Anyway, I just bit the bullet and agreed to pay the £140 for them to "fix any fault" and give me 6 months warranty. Maybe today I just feel I've not got the time to go DIY - shaming the forum. They'll be around on Monday, so not long to wait either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back