howling when we run the hot water.........please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will try and give you has much info as possible but i may go on a bit so apologies......

moved in 2years ago and this may or may not be relevant to the issue but a rad was knocked off at the bottom of the stairs and the previous owner went round shutting every valve off in the airing cupboard b4 shutting water off without thinking......

The problem is that after a few minutes of running the hot water a terrible howling noise starts, now, it will stop after about 30seconds if you are showering but will continue once you shut the shower off for what seems like ages. (power shower) ........ the howling will start after running any hot tap in the house for more than a few mins.... We had british gas out who went up to the water tank in the loft and changed the ball valve but said the water was very 'gritty' so the cause may be that all the workings of the ball valve are getting scaled up therefore causing the hoswling.(admitted this was a guess)..........What i dont get is that if it happens in our house why do none of our neighbours suffer with such an issue and why is it that when ever we mention it to a plumber the eyebrows rise and the head gets scratched.....nobody seems to have ever com accross this issue b4...

What do you think , any ideas....please..

Anniebugs.

Sponsored Links
could be your mains stopcock.

adjust it a couple of turns and see if the noise goes away. never had this on hot water only but its worth a go.

I ve had this problem before, nickso's right. but the problem isn't on the main stop cock, it will be on a stop cock feeding your header tanks in the loft. Replace stop cock. Thanks.

macgee...did you mean replace the ball valve ?
op tells us this has been done.
have you gone into the loft when the noise is happening ? does lifting the ball (on the ball valve) stop the noise ?

Sponsored Links
Either a tap washer or a ball valve washer (toilet cistern)is causing the noise or the by-pass on the boiler is.

Vokera Flowmatics and Lineas were notorious for this sort of noise.

macgee...did you mean replace the ball valve ?
op tells us this has been done.
have you gone into the loft when the noise is happening ? does lifting the ball (on the ball valve) stop the noise ?

Yes sorry i meant the ball valve...... he reckons wot could have happened is that the little gadget we fitted under the sink to break down the lime in the water has started breaking down all the old stuff therefore clogging up the bits and bobs on the valve if that makes any sence? and yes went into loft and liftting did stop noise.......

Also forgot to mention that when he changed the ball valve we had total siclence for 2 weeks over christmas but then it came back.... :(

what do you recdon on totally draining off system and clearing all the loose lime out of the bottom of the tank???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back