Huge gaps at top of French doors - my theory ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a gap in the top of my French doors I can put my finger through - I've been watching lots of videos and looking at the door mechanism itself. Originally I was convinced it was about making sure the door was square but now I'm thinking the hinge has dropped and now the lock mechanism isn't going far enough in to pull the door in flush. Would love some thoughts on this. I'm sorry I'm having trouble with dropping in photos so have used Google photo links.

Taken a pic:

I've made a couple of videos:

The left hand door (the one we use)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7fzaZxBZRXTevYij7

The right side:

Any thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looking at the photos, there appear to be tell-tale marks showing where the doors originally touched the seals.
To me it looks as though the door has dropped away from the hinge, have a search for 'toe and heel a uPVC door'.

Looking at the photos, there appear to be tell-tale marks showing where the doors originally touched the seals.
To me it looks as though the door has dropped away from the hinge, have a search for 'toe and heel a uPVC door'.
Thanks for your response - I've been looking at videos of toeing and heeling... But also thought that the hinges themselves could be adjusted to realign so not quite clear on the different approaches.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response - I've been looking at videos of toeing and heeling... But also thought that the hinges themselves could be adjusted to realign so not quite clear on the different approaches.
Put a square on the door or use the 345 method to see if it needs toe and heeling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back