HW cylinder boiling over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - bit of advise please
had a job through today to replace a fortic indirect cylinder, after speaking to the householder, It seems hes had a heating engineer out to the cylinder on 3 occasions in the last week, each time the cylinder had boiled over and flooded the hallway :confused: - heres what he replaced;
the 3 way valve
the ball-valve
tried putting a better fall on the overflow pipe?
after the 3rd time he told the householder that there was probably a crack in the coil that was causing it to boil over? - first time I've heard of this? - checked the hot water coming through the taps and it wasnt discoloured/rusty etc - he said he checked the cylinder stat and it was shutting off the boiler when it should have and the immersion heater isnt working and not used anyway so I dont think its that - any ideas chaps? - the only thing I noticed on the cylinder is the overflow outlet is higher than the ballvavle (half an inch from the top of the header-tank) hence why it probably flooded out - I'm not bothered about putting a new one in but I've a sneaky feeling that its going to happen in the new one albeit I'll put the overflow in the right place :LOL:

Sponsored Links
disconnect the wires to the immersion heater just to make sure

has he got a shower or other mixer tap (basin, bidet etc) where the cold supply is at mains pressure and the hot comes from the tank?

disconnect the wires to the immersion heater just to make sure

has he got a shower or other mixer tap (basin, bidet etc) where the cold supply is at mains pressure and the hot comes from the tank?

no - no mixer taps in the property? - immersion deffo not working

What boiler/system is it?
If the immersion isn't working it's hardly likely to be boiling over, possibly overflowing - if the ball valve is good and there are no mixers the most likely cause is a failed coil.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Chaps - if it is a failed/split coil wouldnt the cylinder keep filling up, eventually causing it to leak again? and why only when the hot water is on? - if so I better get back in the morning and isolate the supply to the f+e tank :eek:

depending on which tank is lower the water will rise into that one and the higher one will fill, so therefor in your case the water will rise up into the fortic tank via the cold feed, then out the overflow, but the f&e tank will fill via the cold feed and escapeing out the coil :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back