HW problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
System is a back boiler,pumped CH and gravity HW to a cylinder. Top pipe to cylinder coil gets hot but bottom one does not. heated water goes up vent pipe into header tank. We suspect some sort of blockage in the gravity circuit. We thought about using a chemical cleaner, but given that there appears to be no circulation and heated water is just going up the vent pipe we don't know how effective this would be. Does anyone have any suggestions or are we just going to have to strip it out in an effort to locate the problem? Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Oooookay. If we strip the cylinder out and find a blockage other than sludge, i.e. limescale is there anything we can use to remove it. Does anyone know if the waterways on a back boiler are interlinked. could we add something to the heating side that would treat the hot water side? .Once again, TIA.

sounds to me as if you may have a blocked cold feed...
Powerflush of the system should sort ths out, just make sure you link the cold feed & open vent while you are flushing.....

Sponsored Links
Update.... Stripped out cylinder and flushed boiler pipe work. Eventually a lump of what appeared to be cement dropped out. Must have been in there from day one X amount of years ago. Anyway put everything back together and it works fine. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back