HW Stopped Working

Are you telling me you've never Googled on how to do something, or to double check? Or asked someone for help? If not, I bow to your vast knowledge and expertise.

If I was opening up the cylinder to fiddle around inside, I would understand your concerns, and appreciate your thoughts for my safety. However, if switching off the power and unscrewing a thermostat off the side is dangerous, then I really do live life in the fast lane.

I'll be careful about the door hitting me on the way out...or should I call a carpenter in case I get splinters?

Sponsored Links
unscrewing a thermostat

You've unscrewed two thermostats.

Hence my point in that you have not the foggiest in what you are playing with; which is a controlled appliance.

Now, if you remove that chip from your shoulder, the risk of splinters would be much reduced. ;)

Last edited:
As Dan has implied, your lack of knowledge extends to not realising that its illegal for anyone ( and that includes you ) to work on an unvented cylinder!

That's because they work at elevated temperatures and pressures and when superheated water, if released, can expand to 500 times its volume causing quite an explosion. The thermostats are part of the safety devices to help prevent an explosion.

Better to call someone qualified!

Since you imply that you are knowledgeable on some other subject, then one would expect that you will be earning a professional salary which would typically be perhaps £50k-£150k and can easily afford to employ a qualified person to sort it out for you.

Tony

Sponsored Links
My recollection is that there is no legality what so ever to stop a diyer working on his own unvented.
There's is no act of Parliament or statutory documents just a building regs compliance And that's only relevant to the installation of one.
Just because some certification body takes your money and gives you a card doesn't mean there's a law.

Overheat stats tripped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back