no HW and now no CH either

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Ideal Standard E type CF gas boiler with pumped HW and CH.

For the last 2 days as soon as the HW was programmed off for the day the radiators would heat up even though programmed as off. I had to unplug the timer to stop the boiler from firing up and leave it unplugged overnight.

Yesterday morning I put the HW in the '24hrs' option on the timer and plugged the timer back in. The boiler fired up and heated the water. It did switch on and off during the day but I don't think as often as normal. In the evening I tried putting the HW in the 'once' option to see what would happen. Again, when the HW clicked off the radiators started to heat and I had to unplug the timer.

This morning when I plugged in the timer the light for the CH came on then flickered off. The HW light immediately came on, flickered off, then both lights flickered briefly before both going off and staying off. The boiler did not fire up at all. The pilot light is on and I can hear the timer working.

I replaced the HW valve 11 months ago. Yesterday I suspected the CH valve must be stuck open. And would this explain why the boiler doesn't fire up this morning at all?

Sponsored Links
Programmer lights flickering might suggest its faulty.

A motor valve jammed open would cause teh boiler to come on regardless of programmer setting.

Your boiler is very old and inefficient!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back