Radiators Hot When Both Water and Heating Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on diagnosing what's wrong with my central heating system.

I have a Glow Worm Flexicom 30sx boiler running a sealed system. There are two 2-port motorised valves in the airing cupboard. The boiler was new in 2011 and the system hasn't been changed since the house was built in 2004.

We have the hot water on from 6 in the morning through to around 9pm. Heating comes on for a couple of hours in the morning and several in an evening.

Two days ago, I noticed the radiators were very warm (not full-strength hot) during the day when the CH was off. Same happened yesterday. After looking around online, the most likely issue was that a 3-port motorised valve was stuck open and supplying hot water to both the tank and the CH (I hadn't checked that I had a 3-port, just assumed; now I realise I have two 2-ports instead).

Then last night, I woke feeling really warm. And wanting a wee (I've reached that age :rolleyes:). When I went the loo, I felt the radiator and it was 'very warm'. I hoped it was after 6am and was just the hot water 'leaking' into the CH system. But it was 3.30am. I went down to check the boiler and it was fired up - but the timer unit was showing both HW and CH as being off. I also remembered the boiler firing up around 11pm the previous night when, again, both HW and CH were showing as off. The rads are still getting warm today with just the HW on (and CH off)

I've since turned the HW and CH off on the timer, and the boiler does still fire up again.

So the problem is the boiler operating/firing up when the timer is supposed to have turned the HW and CH off.

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem could be caused by?

Edit: the timer is a Drayton LP722

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back