Hygroscopic salt contamination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I think I've had determined a problem with the ghosting of brickwork showing through recently plastered and emulsions walls, but now need some help with a fix.

I have two, external, walls on the first floor of the house where the plaster on the chimney breast had been knocked back to the brickwork and re-plastered (a couple of months ago).

Since then the pattern of the brickwork shows through. As I assumed that this was as a result of the plaster not drying out properly I emulsioned the walls with a permeable/breathable paint.

The brickwork pattern (ghosting) still shows through and it would appear the reason is hyrgoscopic salt contamination. The old plasterwork was sand/cement based whereas the new plaster isn't.

I know one option is to knock the plaster back again and re-plaster with a more suitable solution, but I was wondering whether there are any other solutions.

I've read about applying a vinegar solution, damp proof paint or a PVA based solution, but I, not sure whether any of these will solve my problem.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of a remedy that isn't re-plastering?

Thanks in advance all!

Phill

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back