Hygroscopic salts and damp seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've read lots and lots on this forum about hygrosopic salts which has been really useful (thanks for all contributions!) but there is one question I can't seem to find an answer for.

Could hygroscopic salts cause a layer of damp seal paint to bubble?
(i.e. can they attract moisture through the paint, or out of the paint that would cause bubbles of water to appear on the wall)

We've had a few issues with the roof and had the flashing and parapet re-done. Seems to have solved the problem on one side (terraced house), but on the other side we are experiencing the paint bubble problem!

I noticed the neighbours chimneys were in very bad state and are uncovered and totally unused. I suspect that this is causing damp in the wall (hence the bubbles) but wanted to check there is no other possibility.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The salts come from inside the structure, the moisture is attracted from outside - you didn't read enough.

If you've read so much surely you will have noticed the amount of recent posts & pics on your very situation?

You might also recall how pics will help us to help you?

The salts come from inside the structure, the moisture is attracted from outside - you didn't read enough.

If you've read so much surely you will have noticed the amount of recent posts & pics on your very situation?

You might also recall how pics will help us to help you?

Not sure why my question provoked such a reply. I'm well aware of all you say, my question is can hygroscopic salts still attract damp when covered by damp seal. You had no answer to this so not quite sure why you replied as you did.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your motive.

Sponsored Links
Damp deal is a big con its just oil based under coat and should not be used for treating damp read the tin its purpose is just to hide dry water marks basicly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back