Hygroscopic salts?

Sponsored Links
Just to add, the company who insulated our walls use glass wool and ive researched it on the net. Apparently this type of insulation doesn't allow water to penetrate it so surely the problem can't be down the insulation?

Your thoughts are welcome :)

Phil

Just to add, the company who insulated our walls use glass wool and ive researched it on the net. Apparently this type of insulation doesn't allow water to penetrate it so surely the problem can't be down the insulation?
Especially if the damp is on an internal wall :LOL:

So cavity wall insulation problems can't affect internal walls in anyway? Sorry if my questions are daft. I just want to gather as much info as I can :)

Aswell as these very helpful posts I've also got a friend coming round to have a look.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Your cavity insulation (1 year ago) could well be the single issue that is causing your moisture problems. salts on the walls appear after water/moisture passes through permeable building materials (your walls & render/plaster). The moisture collects salts such as nitrates and leaves them as a deposit on the plaster surface, evidence that moisture has passed through the brickwork. And yes, this can be caused by the wrong application of cavity insulation if it has bridged the damp course.. An independant surveyor is probably best to help with this. £200 ish for a written report to clarify. Vinegar is of no use here my friend. It could well be something else causing the problem but the timing of the cavity insulation makes it a suspect.

Hello
The walls in question are interior, the plaster behind looks alright.

I did actually mention it was interior walls in my question and I promise you I'm not winding anyone up.

Phil
My fault then, the cavity insulation bit was a distracting red herring :rolleyes: I wasn't entirely on the wrong track though, just the cause; I agree with the others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back