I always thought this was a con.........

L

Lincsbodger

Hoop-La stalls on fairgrounds.

I always thought that you had to be seriously good to win anything, and so did Blackpool Trading standards.

They had hundreds of complaints about people losing large amounts on the Hoop-La on the Golden Mile, so they sent in two young girls to test it. Not only did they find it impossible, they guy on the stall even 'helped' them to the cash point next door to fetch more money - the girls lost £70. Some people had lost more.

Trading Standards then raided the place and siezed rings and pillars.

They found that some of the rings didnt fit over the pillars at all, and the angle the end of the pillar plus the fact the rings were such an exact fit and of a square cross section, meant on average, even in ideal conditions, your chances of getting one ring over was 2633 to 1.

Philip Williams, 53, of Layton, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to two offences of breaching gambling laws and Darren Casey, 36, of Mereside, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to one similar charge.

Williams was sentenced to 14 weeks' imprisonment suspended for 12 months, told to carry out 270 hours unpaid work and ordered to pay £2,000 costs. Casey was sentenced to 135 hours unpaid work and ordered to pay £575 costs.

Fairgrounds - bunch of bloody crooks...............

Sponsored Links
on that basis, can I get camelot shut down since the odds of winning there are millions to one.. :rolleyes:

you know damn well that these things are rigged in favour of the carny, they always have been and always will be.. otherwise they wouldn't make a profit of it..

how about "the big one"? I've never won a prize on there either..

you are paying for the fun of it not for a definite prize.

They should read Billy Butlin's biography.

He made it easy to win and made a small profit on each winner. He was a multi-millionaire in the days when that really meant you were mega rich.

If you try any fairground amusement, if you don't know your gona get ripped off, you deserve to.
Funding ***** like folk, shame on you.
This was on the TV yonks back, the hoop will not go over the prize and it's plinth, unless your a spawny bug-ger.

Sponsored Links
Watched a programme on TV few years back about Billy Butlin.

He made a lot of money when the military used his holiday camps as training camps and bases in WW2, Was he Canadian? or lived there from childhood?

I well remember many, many years ago taking my son (age 5) to an amusement arcade on a Norfolk caravan site. Every night he was given a pound coin and allowed to insert it into the machine. Every night he won and was then allowed to use his winnings to play other machines.

Bless him, he did not know that the first machine he played was in fact a change machine. 1 pound coin in, lots of money out. :LOL:

I never stop telling him and his friends/girlfriends that story. The little ingrate threatens to kill me every time I tell it. :LOL:

Joe-90 is right. The most profitable gambling games are easy to play and appear to offer good chances of winning but careful analysis will show that the owner of the game will, on average, make a steady profit. ;) ;) ;) Crown and Anchor is an excellent example.

The national lottery works on a different principle whereby greed gets in the way of logic. Millions of otherwise intelligent people throw away a pound or two every week against impossible odds in the hope of winning that jackpot. Often they have not even bothered to check the odds and many will play the same numbers each time, not daring to change in case 'their' numbers win next time! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've made a fortune out of the lottery by not playing at all. Every time the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 don't come up, I'm a pound better off. It's true that I've missed out on the occasional tenner but, on average, I'm quids in. :D :D :D

If someone is blowing large amounts of cash to win a teddy bear, then the best bet is to say to the stall holder, 'How much to buy one', they will sell you one, at vastly increased cost, as then you walk round all day with a trophy from their stall, so it's free advertising.

Now for FACT; On a cold, blowing day on the seafront, where people are scarce, and whats that? A couple of people winning stuff at a stall? I'm going for that!

A couple of people walking round with a great big stuffed toy, you ask them where did you get it...

THEY are EMPLOYED by the stall owner, not only to play the game, for no money, but then walk round with their prize (that they don't own), if you notice, when cash is exchanged, the money given is smaller than the change received.

And they are rotated, so if you come back and see the same people playing that would be no good, Trading standard only touched the surface on a crime that goes far deeper.

ALL sideshows are fixed, but if people are so stupid to lose vast amounts of money at it, then the onus is on them. Been going on since Barnum.

Strangely enough, I used to work for a company that did contract packaging. The biggest account they had was for Camelot, packing point of sale material for the National Lottery.
I found it very strange that Camelot would ring up on a Monday morning and place an order for Double rollover POS material to be packed for delivery to the shops on Thursday when we still had the Wednesday draw to be held.
What was unbelievably strange was that, sometimes they rang on the Wednesday afternoon asking for Triple Rollover POS material to be delivered to shops for the following Monday.
Invariably the lottery would end up as a Double rollover on the Saturday draw and a Triple rollover draw the following Wednesday. (think about the timing of calls from Camelot here for a minute) It made me wonder whether the National Lottery has or could be fixed.
I could understand them phoning up on a Thursday or Monday asking for rollover stuff after the Wed or Sat draw, but they were actually asking for double and even triple rollover pos stuff 2 draws in advance. Hard to believe that even they could second guess the results of rollovers.

nothing wrong with that..
if someone wins the rollover stuff doesn't get used, but if they don't then the rollover stuff goes up the very next morning..

otherwise if they had to wait to order them until wednesday night ( assuming the printers etc were running late ) then the earliest they can get the signs out to the shops and up is late thursday or early friday by which point they've lost a day's advertising at least..

Coconut shies too - and bent air rifle sights - and bent darts @ the playing cards . WTF it`s a F -U-N FAIR FFS :rolleyes:

Joe-90 is right. The most profitable gambling games are easy to play and appear to offer good chances of winning but careful analysis will show that the owner of the game will, on average, make a steady profit.

Some can be beaten quite easily if they are played correctly:cool:.

David.

Sponsored Links
Back