'I dread the day ...' - a story in 9 pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... I can't check things myself before getting a professional trades-person in.

it all began a year or so ago when I noticed a damp smell in the house, sort of like damp sand. I ventured under the house and noticed this as soon as I got down there:

in case you're wondering 'noticed what?' I'm referring to the damp ground bottom right of pic. so I ventured along and had a look through the gap to be greeted with this:

these are all pics I took today and the situation didn't look any better or worse than a year ago. I think I posted on here then and we had a discussion about water tables, water rising from the ground etc. so, on seeing this today I was preparing myself to post another topic re: best way to resolve.

however, this time I thought 'go and have a look through there' something I hadn't done last time as hadn't wanted to emmm get wet :oops: :

so I crawled through the mucky stinky water to see this:

this still looked to me like water coming up from the ground due to seeing dry ground around the extremities i.e. where ground is higher. however I then crawled a bit further and all became clear ...

to give you a bearing, that pipe going up into the property is directly under my bath/shower! 'that'll be your problem then!!' I thought to myself. push fittings as you can see (not fitted by me, only been in house 4ish years!) that had obviously worked their way off over the years so, did this:

also put cable tie around pipe and secured to nail in joist so pipe can't work its way loose again (no pic of that, camera battery low!) but tested and draining properly now i.e. into main drain not the ground!!

I suppose the reason I say 'I dread the day ...' that I'm no longer fit enough to check these things myself is the above has been a fix costing zero apart from an hour or so of my time. I dread to think of people being shown those pics taken by a trades-person (omitting the one of the loose pipe) saying 'this is going to cost you mate ...' and being quoted hundreds if not thousands for work that isn't required! I suppose I'm lucky in that I can check these things i.e. even folk my age and younger might not be inclined to, not just older folk.

I'll check it in a few weeks to make sure it's still all in place, I might not even have to go under the house as I can now hear the water draining as it's supposed to, so I'll know somethings up if that sounds stops!

THE END ... (hopefully!)

:)

Sponsored Links
I've seen it several times where long waste pipe runs have no support or clips. If the waste water is slow running, it eventually causes a leak somewhere. Might be worth fitting some more supports under there while you still can.

I've seen it several times where long waste pipe runs have no support or clips. If the waste water is slow running, it eventually causes a leak somewhere. Might be worth fitting some more supports under there while you still can.

yeah good point. i 'think' the cable tie will hold it (placed around u bend area and lopped across nail into joist) but I'll probable venture down again in summer to see how it's holding up.

Well done for persisting- now you know how to crawl a house.

AAMOI: Do as above and perhaps lift and clip all those loose cables - all pipes and cables should be hung from joists.

Sponsored Links
diy_fun_uk, Hi

Commend your perseverance

Have seen this scenario a few times, you were in effect lucky it was a shower waste nothing else even a kitchen Sink Waste parting as you show in your pictures can make a House almost Un-Inhabitable fast.

Have you got a set of knee pads? or heavy gloves as well as waterproof trousers for your next venture down there?

As an aside you would be amazed at how many times I have seen this scenario with a Contractor wanting to get stuck in, lift floors so he can install a DPM and new concrete under an entire house? at a cost, and what a cost?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back