I hesitate to call it a "lawn"...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appreciate any advice on the state of my grass. Repair or replace? It has many kinds of weeds. Also the shrubbery of the other side of the fence, railway sidings, gets strimmed once or twice a year bringing a new batch of weeds. I have even contemplated astroturf :p Here's a link to some snaps: My Green Stuff. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
it's very coarse.

If you dig it up and relay, then chances are the local "weed" grasses will recolonise it as they are ideal for your local conditions.

A hormone weed killer will get rid of the broad-leaved weeds (or you could use SBK).

If the soil is very heavy you can top-dress with grit sand. You can also use it to fill hollows to level it.

You do not say how well drained it is or how big.

If you have children, dogs or a bitch (female dog :rolleyes: ) that makes a difference. Is it just for looking at?

What caused the dead patch?

Hi John and thanks for the reply.

- Recolonising is my big worry if I reseed/returf.

- What is SBK?

- Heavy soil? Afraid I don't know much about gardening at all. I think my neighbour said the ground is clay but I could dig a hole if that helps.

- It is about 120sqm and I think "well drained", assuming that mean I don't get puddles on it when it rains.

- No children or dogs.

- Use is mainly cosmetic but the GF would like to be able to lay out on it in the summer.

- dead patch, mmmm, your guess is as good as mine, probably better. If you mean the bare earth patch (actually several) then I think they are ant hills. If you mean the dead grassy areas then maybe a combination of weed killer (I was very careful applying it) and/or just the way it tends to go in summer. It all practically died last year with little rain and a hose-pipe ban.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back