I put bleach on my friends metallic sink and now it's stained

awm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I wanted to clean my friend's metallic sink before she got home, so I put bleach on it and left it.

Now it's stained, see the image below. Any tips on how to fix this?
view

Attachments

• IMG_5948.JPG
    IMG_5948.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 893
Sponsored Links
Wire wool (if the sink has a matt finish already)?

As above, it should polish out.

It was bleach rather than something like the black Harpic? Bleach will not damage stainless steel, the black Harpic contains acid. I once made the mistake of using in my bathroom basin. It removed the chrome from the plug hole.

Sponsored Links
No you haven't.

Just put bleach over all of it.
It's a good way to clean ss sinks.

Don't use wire wool as it'll leave mild steel traces in the stainless which will eventually rust.
You could try a abrasive cleaning paste such as car chrome cleaner or even vim (if it's still available). Use a green scouring pad to assist with the abrasion.

green scouring pad is what I use. There is also a black variety that is more abrasive (and a white one that is very mild, for keeping it polished once you have restored the surface). Start with the finest grade that will do the job. An old, used pan scourer that has gone floppy is less abrasive than a new one.

Name is "ScotchBrite"

only rub to and fro in the direction of the brushing, not across it and never in circles which will leave prominent swirl marks

Ignore BlooLoo.
Clean stainless steel protects itself from rust by a chemical reaction with air that leaves a protective film on the surface. Some chemicals strip this off and cause corrosion. Including salt, vinegar, chlorine and other acid products.

HCl is hydrochloric acid. it is produced by adding chlorine to water. Household bleach contains chlorine.

green scouring pad is what I use. There is also a black variety that is more abrasive (and a white one that is very mild, for keeping it polished once you have restored the surface). Start with the finest grade that will do the job. An old, used pan scourer that has gone floppy is less abrasive than a new one.

Name is "ScotchBrite"

only rub to and fro in the direction of the brushing, not across it and never in circles which will leave prominent swirl marks

Ignore BlooLoo.
Clean stainless steel protects itself from rust by a chemical reaction with air that leaves a protective film on the surface. Some chemicals strip this off and cause corrosion. Including salt, vinegar, chlorine and other acid products.

HCl is hydrochloric acid. it is produced by adding chlorine to water. Household bleach contains chlorine.

It's a sink which hasn't been uniformly cleaned with bleach.

It's not some pressure sensitive industrial equipment subject to SSC requiring passivation and protection of its passive layer.

Cleaning it properly with bleach once to get a uniform appearance will do it no harm whatsoever.

My SS sinks get bleached weekly and they are still fine after 20 years.

Don't use mechanical buffing. 'Twill look horrendous.

You can get domestic stainless steel cleaner from most supermarkets if you don't want to bleach it. Its a light pickling solution so does a good job as well.

The OPs post isn't a big issue at all really.

Thanks so much! I've ordered some bar keepers friend, will try tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back