I wish they would stop making

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish senior police officers would stop making the same mistake over and over again. However well intentioned (as it undoubtedly was) it results in some families never seeing justice done.

, Det Supt Steve Fulcher, ignored guidelines laid down in law governing how a suspect should be treated, because he believed there was a chance to find O'Callaghan alive if he did so. He interviewed him before Halliwell could see a solicitor and without warning him of his right to remain silent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/19/taxi-driver-jailed-sian-ocallaghan

Sponsored Links
How can you say the copper was wrong here, if he thought there was a chance the girl may still be alive that trumps any "regulations".
If the law says this pr*ck can't now be charged despite confessing and leading police to the body then the law is wrong, not the copper.

It would have taken him 30 seconds to read him his rights and then the prick would have been charged and convicted of the two murders he committed.

As a result of him not doing that one family is denied justice. We are not talking about young bobbies but senior officers who know and should do better.

The same thing happened in my mate Ken's case, failure to caution and the suspect goes free.

Trying to blame it on the law is quite frankly, *******s.

Sponsored Links
Trying to blame it on the law is quite frankly, ****.

No it isn't. A man confesses to murder and leads police to the body and the law says he can't be prosecuted. It shouldn't matter in such a case what rules and regulations may have been broken, he confessed ffs.

Of course he should have been convicted of her murder, the fact that he wasn't even tried for it shows that the law is wrong.

I wish senior police officers would stop making the same mistake over and over again. However well intentioned (as it undoubtedly was) it results in some families never seeing justice done.

Did you even bother to read the above?

Pace has been in force since 1984 every police officer, solicitor and judge knows it inside out. It came about because of police wrong doing that resulted in innocent people going to prison and the guilty going free. It's a necessary evil put in place to lessen the chance of a miscarriage of justice.

However much you want to support the police, and I do. You don't do that by blindly accepting their mistakes, it effects real peoples lives. When they get the basics wrong we all suffer as a result. That isn't justice, it's injustice.

If the man thought that there was a chance that the girl might still be alive, and thought that by giving him the chance to consult a lawyer he would lose the chance to save her he's got my support all the way. Not that that's worth much.

What does it benefit Halliwell not to make a full confession under oath and give the poor girl's family some sense of justice? After all, the bloke's doing at least 25 years anyway so he has nothing to lose :confused:

From what little I caught on the news last night it appeared he took them to where the first body was and then matter of factly asked if they wanted to see another one. He then showed them where the second girl was left.
As wrong as it may have been not to caution him, the mere fact that he knew where both bodies where should ensure he is tried for both murders.
The law does need to be changed in circumstances where there may be a chance that someone may be found alive or removed from imminent danger.

Sponsored Links
Back