I'd like to paint just like a pro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm starting a painting project soon. Nothing that flash just a freshen up of the living dinner, hall, stairs and landing. The walls are dulux matt alumond white, Matt white ceiling and coving, White gloss or satinwood for the wood work.

I want to atchive a professional finish and I've been looking on youtube and forums for advice.

I found this on youtube

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KekJ2RPwfws#t=19s]

My Dad was a painter and told me not to gloss over gloss. So if I want two coats of gloss what prep is needed for the 2nd coat?

Also what brand of gloss, white matt, and under coat, paint brushes are the pros using?

Any help at all would be well recieved

thanx

Johnthomas[/youtube]

Sponsored Links
I'm using the Harris nylon brushes. Blue handle with whitish bristles.

They're the only brushes I've ever used which doesn't lose bristles.

Sand down to take the sheen off then undercoat then your gloss, if you undercoat well then gloss would only need 1 coat.

And as for brushes, it depends on what paint I'm using.

thanks Millwrite I'll have a look for some of them :)

I was looking at some Hamilton gear today and the brushes are very soft but didn't want to pay a top price without a reconmendation. To be honest the last brush I brought was from Wilkos and it's great, is there an emperors new clothes mentalltley with exspencive gear :confused:

I'd happley pay more if it helps me do a top job :)

Sponsored Links
Thanx pigeion85
you agree with my dad. It's just the chap on YouTube was going on about what a super glossy finish after the 2nd coat. I've always enjoyed doing my own home improvements :LOL: and have done lots of painting but have only used retail paint, are the trade paints at a higher cost a good investments. At my stage of life I'm looking firstly for quality, 2nd value. As for the paint Matt on the walls, High Gloss or Satinwood (the wife hasn't decided yet ;) ) on the woodwork.

As a sparkey by trade I could probably get cash account at a trade counter

If you don't want to spend a lot on brushes, Toolstation have a set of three Nour brilliant finish brushes for £8.50, two of them are angled brushes for easier cutting in and they are really good for woodwork. A decent cheap brush for emulsion is the Rodo prodec x7. Most pros use Purdy, Corona, Wooster and Proform, these aren't cheap but are the best money can buy. Hamilton don't seem to be as good as they used to be in my opinion.. If you don't have much experience glossing and want a gloss that gives a nice solid finish then Johnstones thixatropic (non drip) is a good one,

Yes, the trade paints are better. They are thicker and cover better. They are more expensive litre for litre, but as the same quantity goes further than the more watery retail stuff, they are better value in my view.

Good luck with your project!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back