ideal classic ff350, runs for a few minutes then overheats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm brand new on here and discovered this site while trying to find a user/installation guide for a ideal classic ff350.

My friend has just bought a house for his Son to use while at Uni, the house was ex council and had quite a recent [looks recent, few year's maybe] central heating and hot water system installed, the heating system had been completely drained down, rad's tanks, boiler, everything.

On arriving we set about filling the system and bleeding everything, this took a good half day to get all the air out from everything we could find with a bleed nipple, with the system filled we fired the boiler up for the first time. It fired up instantly and ran for quite a few minutes before shutting itself off, we waited briefly and tried again and again the same thing happened.

If I list out some of the things we've tried to rectify this problem perhaps you guys could could suggest obvious things we've missed and could also try, I used to design and build commercial catering equipment including gas hot cupboards/bain maries etc so so have some experience with gas and burners but am not a corgi guy.

Here's a list of what we've tried so far.

A sensor on the right hand side of the combustion chamber was removed [looked like a thermocouple but controlled the power in?] the boiler fired up then it tripped out again.

The sensor on the left hand side of the combustion chamber was removed, boiler fired up but was obviously running hot so was shut down quickly.

We found the the water pipe from the top right got really hot but the pipe on the left never did, also on the tank the top of the coil pipe got hot but the bottom never did?

We figured we had a circulation problem which was causing the boiler to overheat so again thought it to be air, we went through the whole system to try and expel air and although there was a bit at various nipples it made no difference so we turned our attention to the pumps.

This system has two pumps which were removed, stripped down [they were of a magnetic impeller type] cleaned spun freely and refitted, turned on and heard to be running [we assumed they both couldn't be stuck and humming because they weren't moving] but made no difference to the boiler staying on any longer than a few minutes.

We cracked joints open all over the place to check water was present and it was yet still it seemed we had a circulation problem which was causing the boiler to overheat and shut off?

The system was we presume installed by professionals who did the boiler and central heating at the same time, the system has run in the past and worked fine, the pump bodies look reasonably new [spotless] and we struggle to believe they've both gone at the same time.

The boiler does hot water and the central heating, it only has an inlet and outlet pipe on the boiler so none of the pressurised systems that I'm familiar with, the tank was new in 2003 and is in a soft water area, the central heating pumps appear to be running as the can be heard yet the water won't circulate?

Is there sort of valve on the boiler that is not obvious to the untrained eye that could be stuck? is there anywhere to bleed the combustion chamber?

Help please guys, we had a day and a half scratching our heads, we don't know if it's a plumbing [air in system] or a boiler problem and would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks for reading this and I'm off to have a good look round the site :)

Brian [oh a couple of pic's ;) ]

surf067.jpg

surf066.jpg

Sponsored Links
We dont give advice on gas matters here and that includes opening the combustion chamber.

It seems to me that your pump is not working! I am not sure the second item is necessarily a pump either! Do they both only have only two pipes? There is a three port valve which looks similar to a pump!

Regardless of what they are, my advice is to replace both of them!

Tony

I haven't seen a 'Pump Plan' Set up in a long time - if thats what you have.

Mr. W.

Hi Tony

I don't think it's gas gas problem but more of a circulation one being as the system functioned fine but was completely drained off, I was hoping it was air trapped in the system somewhere and not much more.

The boiler appears to function fine other than shutting off due to overheating, the sensors again are operating as they should it just seems as the water isn't getting round so the boiler's just heating what's in the combustion chamber to a point where the sensors kick in and shut it down.

Point's I should have mentioned are all tests were carried out with the controls set to continuous and the thermostats set to max [stats on all radiators], water temperature was also set to max.

The pumps I stripped down are not the ones that rust up and seize when not in use, they are similar to fish pond pumps with impellers on ceramic bushes/bearings and a copper/steel disc which I guess is driven round by magnets in the main pump bodies. The pumps are identical, spotless inside and the impellers rotate freely and they are both pumps, there is one pipe into the bottom that splits to feed both pumps then one pump goes into the top of the heating coil while the other seems to run round the rads through the boiler and back into the bottom of the coil.
You can have the pumps running without the boiler being on and they can be heard to run independently by changing the heating controls to hot water or heating and run together when demand for both is wanted.

The problem definitely seems to be circulation I just don't want to advise my friend to buy new pumps when they won't cure the problem unless you guys can tell me they will ;)

Open to any ideas at the moment.

Cheers
Brian

Sponsored Links
I haven't seen a 'Pump Plan' Set up in a long time - if thats what you have.

Mr. W.

Hi

I'm not sure what that is unless it refers to what's in the pic's [sorry my ignorance], I know it seems over complicated compared to my heating system at home in a much bigger house.

Any advice appreciated and thanks for taking the time out to reply

Brian

Just been reading the manual I've downloaded and this seems to fit the bill but not necessarily right.

Boiler cycling on and off the
fan and burner come on for
short periods but the pump
can be heard.

• There is an air lock in the boiler or system pipework and the interrupter thermostat is shutting
down the boiler. Vent air from the radiators and ensure all thermostatic radiator valves are in
the open position. If unable to free the air lock contact your installer.

If there was an air lock in the boiler how do you get it out?

If they are both pumps then either they are not working or you have an air lock or blockage.

The trouble is those pumps are very old and their design does not allow you to come to a conclusion if they are working properly. They may well be turning but that does not mean they are turning fast enough. I dont know of any installation still using those pumps.

My advice is to replace them regardless and then deal with any further problems that are present.

Tony

If they are both pumps then either they are not working or you have an air lock or blockage.

The trouble is those pumps are very old and their design does not allow you to come to a conclusion if they are working properly. They may well be turning but that does not mean they are turning fast enough. I dont know of any installation still using those pumps.

My advice is to replace them regardless and then deal with any further problems that are present.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll pass that info on and you're right, I can't tell if they're running or not, they just make a humming noise :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back