Ideal FF280 Boiler-Continually overheating and tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone please advise me, how I might rectify my Ideal FF280 Boiler that is occasionally overheating and cutting out – requiring re-setting.

I searched this forum before and found a very helpful post discussing similar problems. The general diagnosis from that was to replace the motor/or the complete motorised valve IF it appeared it was that which was sticking or failing.

With my boiler that appeared to be the very same fault in that after the boiler cuts out I can gather from feeling the temperature either side of each motorised valve which one shut down before the boiler overheated and in turn closed both of the valves.

The Central Heating Honeywell motorized valve appeared to be at fault so I purchased the exact recommended replacement and fitted that a few weeks ago. Initially all seemed fine, but then we again within a few days periodically started overheating, implying that I had not fixed anything, but have merely benefited from fitting a new motorised valve.

Nothing has changed to the set up of the system, and when working it seems fine. It is heating the water and providing plenty of heat to the radiators, it is just this intermittent sudden overheating, which trips the thermostat on the boiler, and every time it does so all the pipe work in the upstairs cylinder cupboard is red hot except for one side of the motorised valve, which is very warm and not so much hot.

If anyone could offer me some advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back