Ideal FF340 repeatedly sparking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two failure modes on my boiler, perhaps related, that have been progressively getting worse. It seems a bit random whether one occurs or the other.

1) The fan and pump are running, I can hear the spark every 1 second from the front of the boiler and from the flu outside, but no flame through the spy glass. It just sits there sparking away. Initially this would happen maybe 5 or 6 times, now it sometimes sits there forever doing this. Turning the boiler off, waiting half an hour or so, then turning back on usually cures it, or sometimes it just lights and carries on.

2) Sometimes the boiler lights, I can see it's all lit, then a second later the flame stops, clicking from the relays, then it lights up again. This repeats every 2 seconds for a few minutes until it eventually runs continuously.

When I had the boiler serviced (it wasn't as bad as it is now) the guy said it was probably the PCB on the way out, and if it got worse or stopped working it would need to be replaced, but it was safe to carry on using as-is. Anyway I got a new PCB and ... exact same issue.

Having now already paid for a new PCB, does anyone know what the problem is likely to be, before I go through and have every part replaced! I'm no boiler expert, but having googled so far my conclusion is that either the pilot injector is partially blocked or the gas valve is sticking. Does that sound about right? Should I expect to pay for those parts to be replaced, or can they be repaired?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
you need someone who knows what their doing to look at it for you :) , maybe the service engineer was guessing or was he :sneaky:;)

Sponsored Links
Could be many things.A partially blocked injector would be way down my list of possibilities.Can you not ask the manufacturer to attend for a fixed fee?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back