Ideal Isar H24 dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
we have an Ideal Isar HE24 boiler, which usually still works perfectly well, so that we don't see a reason to replace it now.

Recently, it started dripping. It's hard to see where it exactly comes from, but (after some moderate disassembly) it looks like a pipe connection. I'll try my best to describe it:

It is below the plate heat exchanger, on the right side. The pump is silver in the front and has black plastic parts in the back. These black plastic parts go below and connect with the plate heat exchanger. From the back, there are two pipes going into this black part attached to the pump and plate heat exchanger. I think it is the left pipe, where it connects with the black part. The water goes onto the metal plate which is directly below the plate heat exchanger and drips down from there.

From the manual, I would guess it is the "DHW cold in".

In the boiler manual I have, in the exploded view, it is probably item 60, labelled as "DHW inlet pipe"

I have already replaced the plate heat exchanger before, so I guess I'll get to it.

My questions:
What parts would I ideally get before disassembling it? I'd prefer to spend a bit more money to be on the safe side I have everything at hand, instead of assembling/disassembling a couple of times until I have the right bit.
- Just a new rubber seal?
- A new inlet pipe? (to replace the bit between the main pipe with shut off and going into the pump, just a short knee shaped bit)
- A new 'back' part of the pump (the black plastic part), in the exploded view probably no 70, "Pump manifold"

What else might I need? I think back then I also had silicone grease or something like this?

As you probably have guessed, I'm not a plumber or alike, but I do stuff around my own home.

Best wishes,
Andre

Sponsored Links
would be a lot simpler if you just posted a pic of where it is dripping

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Could just be a fibre washer is all that’s needed, but as per @ianmcd a picture tells a 1000 words

Attachments

• 3CD92DE5-2FCB-430E-A8E2-F6A676A3BDD2.png
    3CD92DE5-2FCB-430E-A8E2-F6A676A3BDD2.png
    908.5 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, this is a really bad picture. I thought I took a movie, but for some reason it didn't save it. It was very hard to get into that corner and have the camera focus right.

In the background, you can see how the right pipe comes up and bends (should be the right no 60 in the exploded view above), and then there's this black crusty bit. That's were the pipe goes into the black plastic (I presume no 70 on the pic). I guess the crust comes from a longer leak...

It's put together now again (family home with kids and we need the heating), but I can try better pictures next time...

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_125200.jpg
    IMG_20230205_125200.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
How do I know the size of the washer? Do I have to take it apart first?

Hi All,
I finally found the time to take it apart (doing it right now), but I'm not sure whether I'll manage. I removed the pump cover (I hope it stays sealed later on, the rubber seal seems dirty and brittle), but I'm not sure I'll manage.

Red arrow shows where it is dripping, it's where the pipe goes into the black plastic. Can't get any better view because it's all so cluttered, I don't get there with the camera/phone.

I may not be able to remove the plate heat exchanger, because one of the screws (green arrow) is damaged and the allen key just moves without turning the screw. (I may be able to unscrew it on the other side and just keep it attached to the black plastic bit, though.

I'm not sure I'll reach all the clips etc to remove the black plastic. Does anyone know whether it can be removed with the boiler installed?

Any other tips are highly appreciated, I feel a bit lost right now :)

Best wishes,
Andre

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_105019.jpg
    IMG_20230317_105019.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230317_105148_edit.jpg
    IMG_20230317_105148_edit.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 30
Right now my main problem is that I can't loosen the hard-to-reach pump clips holding the pipes etc in place with the black plastic bit.

Apologies for talking to myself, but maybe it's useful for someone else at some point (and input would still be helpful!)

I have now removed the pipe bit which is leaking. The O-ring looks fine, but for some reason they used silicone or something as well??? See picture

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_151914.jpg
    IMG_20230317_151914.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 34

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back