Ideal Istor boiler flame failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope there is someone out there that can advise me about my boiler (Personally I think its better off in a skip)
First a quick history

Bought house 2.5yrs old Wimpey build

Boiler is Ideal Istor

First problems were cutting out indicating a pcb fault. British Gas replaced (under service contract) board and everything ok for a week or two.
Then noticed loud bang every time changing over from water to heating, BG guy came back with new diverter valve but in meantime boiler cutting out intermittently and locking out on flame failure. Sometimes it resets straight away othertimes 24 hrs or more. BG guy changed gas valve and has been ok for 3 weeks (although was on holiday for 1 week of that), now it has started locking out on flame failure again and wont reset (been 5 hours now).

After pressing reset button it shows a number 6 in the window before trying to fire up. Is this a fault indicator eg no spark, gas low, flame eye dirty or something that may actually help identify the problem. As it resets eventually by the time the gas engineer arrives it is working great and may work for 2-3 weeks before locking out again.

Have asked Ideal for a price for a service contract but they dont seem interested as they didnt get back to me. I can see why, the boiler was less than 3 yrs old and has been a complete waste of space, it is completely unreliable, although it works well enough when it decides to work.

As for the timer switch............. Who the hell thought that one up.

Getting frustrated with the whole IDEAL experience, any help appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
(Personally I think its better off in a skip)

You've got that bit right, along with every othe boiler in the range, Isar & Icos, probably even the new Esprit :rolleyes:

Has any one checked the condensate trap is not blocked?

Spark electrode and flame rectification electrode would be next on my list.

Are you getting an L:F code flashing up when locked out?

6 upon power on just means it's an Istor.

Hi Gas4you and tks for the reply.

Boiler fired up as normal this morning and appears to be working ok but to be honest have no faith in it continuing.

Yes I get an L-F on the display.

I have checked the outlet at the drain and it appears to be clear. I don't know if it has ever been checked at boiler end. Is this a DIY job or will it need yet another call to BG.

Sponsored Links
Boiler packed in again after an hour, went to work and now is ok again.
Have checked manual and it looks like i have to remove hot water expansion vessel, controls box and then maybe i can see the trap.
I would like to clean out the sump while i'm in there, is there any problems doing that. Does it involve disturbing any gas pipes which would make it a job for "corgiman".

Your help is very welcome, good to see there are some helpful folk about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back