Ideal Logic Heat 15 - Fault leaks,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not over sure how condensing boilers operate and how much water should be in the trap. Came home tonight (boiler 3 years old max) water over floor, leaks coming from inside boiler casing. Turned everything off, undone cover, seems to be leaking from the following areas.
Siphone cap
Siphone
Sump cover
Heat Engine base where metal meets plastic
Bottom of manifold area.

Looks bad, try to get someone to look at early as i can. Does not look great and quality looks even worse. Any heads up ideas be nice, to see if it macthes what engineer may say.

Need a new floor also now, laminate shot.

Sponsored Links
Two things are a possible cause. The condensate pipe is blocked somewhere along its route, or rain water has got in somehow due to a faulty flue. A blockage is my first thought though, and it has backed up as you described.

Had one last week. Split heat exchanger leaking system water into syphon and system unable to sustain working pressure.

Yours might be condensate backing up or rain ingress as has been said already

What part of country? Boiler I looked at in outskirts of Glasgow, property new built with HW on unvented cylinder

Had one last week. Split heat exchanger leaking system water into syphon and system unable to sustain working pressure.

Yours might be condensate backing up or rain ingress as has been said already

What part of country? Boiler I looked at in outskirts of Glasgow, property new built with HW on unvented cylinder

I am in South East area, spoke to Ideal today they are going to send someone out next week, hope we have a warm spell.
Water if backed up at all, did not seem to be aparent, but would this also cause it to leak in so many areas. I am now concerned that maybe there is a problem in the down pipe - soak away maybe need to have a camera to investigate. If this did back up due to poor drainage, could that cause the symtoms and problem of leaking everywhere, and also L2 fault code.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the condensate pipe (white pipe under boiler going to drain etc)

If boiler cannot be pressurised/ pressure drops and water leaks from the boiler/ syphon, then most likely the heat exchanger

I fitted one last week & from what I recall; there's no Flexi hose on the condensate boiler outlet, the 21.5mm pipe is connected directly into the rubber connecting under the boiler.

If it's a blocked condensate pipe, for any reason they may charge you, quite rightly, for a warranty call. So I'd advise you to double check your drains....... ;)

I am having similar problems with this boiler. Does not call for heat. Drips from 21.5 mm outlet. Have cleaned it. Also checked outlet to soakaway which is clear but water backing up somewhere. Wjat else can I try. It often resets itself after a time and the burner comes on. When I turn off at mains the display cycles with 1 then 5 then 0. It doesnt go to C and then blue light.
Have left outlet pipe open to allow freeflow of water but it always seems to end up coming out of the wider outlet with screwtop.

Delmel, is the boiler under warranty and been serviced annually?

Has system pressure gone down?

Has there been heavy rainstorm in your area and condensate goes into rainwater pipe?

Usually maker charge about £90 if not a warranty fault which I would think unlikely, but that does not get it fixed.

So the installer or another independent may be a better bet!

Tony

Thanks Tony. It's due a service and we did have some rain the day it all kicked off.
Only had a 2 year warranty as well so out of that.
I'm no expert but believe it's not the pressurised system of a modern combi as it has a hot water cylinder.
Regards,
Jackie

IDEAL combi 24........An IDEAL engineer is at my house this very moment, changing the main heat exchanger. It seems to be split and the system has been losing water pressure for three months now. I thought I had a five year guarantee up until I got in touch with homeserve (guarantee agents). They told me IDEAL say it was only two years.

It appears it was only the ideal PLUS model with the five year guarantee & even though I filled in guarantee paperwork originally, they said Homeserve guaranteed it incorrectly.

Homeserve to their credit told me to go ahead and get the repair done and they will/should refund the cost. So I paid IDEAL directly the sum of £275 for a fixed price repair which covers anything within the boiler.
I have been told these heat exhangers that are prone to leaking, were made in China.
My boiler was installed in 2013 :(

IDEAL were supposed to have upped their game and improved things...it seems not as they are still cheap and still breakdown. A heat exhanger should last at least ten years...

What should happen and what does happen in this world are not always the same.

Are you paying for Home serve cover?

Why does that not cover the repair?

Leaking Ideal alloy heat exchangers seen somewhat common!

Two things are a possible cause. The condensate pipe is blocked somewhere along its route, or rain water has got in somehow due to a faulty flue. A blockage is my first thought though, and it has backed up as you described.

Or simply a cracked sump, which is common in these. Seen it more than anything in these.

What should happen and what does happen in this world are not always the same.

Are you paying for Home serve cover?

Why does that not cover the repair?

Leaking Ideal alloy heat exchangers seen somewhat common!

Fitted 100s Tony & not seen one heat exchanger problem.

When you come to London I will take you to see one.

Then for a drink!

I have just revisited this thread while posting a question elswhere. I confirm it was the heat exchanger cracked and yes it was a fairly common fault.
I never had breadown cover because I assumed my gaurantee covered any faults (claims attended to by Homeserve for IDEAL) even though after claiming , or trying to claim IDEAL said it was only gauranteed only for 2 years .
Homeserve however honoured a five year gaurantee as that is what I signed for originally and I presume they claimed costs back from IDEAL.

Because the leak dripped into the outlet of the condensate pipe it is something that appears hidden and water pressure was dropping ...But where was the water going to??
The reason I narrowed it down to the HEX was that the condensate pump was operating in the middle of the night when we have the boiler turned OFF so that water was filling the condensate reservoir from somewhere....and it was the cracked HEX.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back