Idebtifying Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started to strip the wallpaper off all the walls in my flat. And I'm left wondering what is underneath. Is there anyway to find out what kind of plaster I've got.

The flat was built in 1895 and is sandstone, so could the plaster be lime-based? If so how do I tell?

I'm asking because some paints say "Not usitable for lime-based plaster" others say "Not suitable for gypsum-based"

Sponsored Links
If you don't want it to look sheet, then get it reskimmed or covered with lining paper before painting.

Probably best moved to the deccy forum. *mods*

Thanks for the reply, and sorry I posted in the wrong forum. I was trying to post it in Decorating and Painting.

Personally, I've never had any problem with any plaster type, so I don't see the problem. Your biggest potential problem is the old paste on the wall that will cause the paint to crack.

Sponsored Links
Ditto Joe-90,

I work on a lot of 1800's buldings in Montrose and have never had any probs with plaster.......... painting wise that is!

Some of the old lath & plaster can be a pain to prep though, what with decades of cobbled repairs, once you're through a very elderly finish coat and hit sand - deep joy, out with the Carlite, Easifil & lining paper!

Any probs, give us a shout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back