If I wrap my keyless car key in lead sheet, will that stop it’s signal being transmitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
According to the reviews of the storage boxes on Amazon (all using aluminium as a shield), they don’t always work, hence I wondered if lead would be better?

Sorry if is not the right sub for this mods, but this technical sub seemed the best place for my question.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wrapping the fob in lead will not stop the fob transmitting but it will reduce the strength of the signal
Is lead better at reducing the signal than aluminium. Probable not.

You can experiment to find out
Unlock your car,
Walk away from the car with the fob unscreened until the car locks by itself Note the distance between car and fob
Do this several times and take the average distance
You must hold the the fob in the same orientation relative to the car as you walk away to get the best results. (*)

Repeat but this time with the fob screened

The average distance with a screen should be shorter than the average distance.

The difference in distance between unscreened and screened will give a rough idea about how effective the screening is.
Try several different screening materials

(*) the fob does not radiate the same signal strength in all direction

If you value your car then seriously consider adding an authorised immobiliser.

Our son had to have 1 fitted to get his car re-insured. I think it cost about £300

Some keyless entry fobs can be turned off (worth googling your particular model) so they don’t transmit a signal, mine is a “smart” fob that goes into sleep mode when no movement is detected.

A quality Faraday pouch or box is a relatively cheap way of preventing this type of theft, another growing problem of vehicle theft is the CanBus attack, that allows the thieves to open your car, start it and drive it away even if your key is turned off or in a Faraday box, this type of attack is most common on some Lexus, Toyota and Range Rover models.

Sponsored Links
pyronix car defender can be used with pyronix alarm or stand alone.

Best to avoid keyless vehicles as it’s very insecure. Keys can be accessed at any point whilst shopping or walking to your door and can bus isn’t one I was aware of but clearly makes keyless pointless in terms of secure vehicle.

Unfortunately you need other ways to slow them down and cause lots of noise.

You can never stop crime, you can make it harder and get evidence and get convicted.

Although you can get out of prison by strapping yourself to the underside of a vehicle in the UK.

pyronix car defender can be used with pyronix alarm or stand alone.

Best to avoid keyless vehicles as it’s very insecure. Keys can be accessed at any point whilst shopping or walking to your door and can bus isn’t one I was aware of but clearly makes keyless pointless in terms of secure vehicle.

Unfortunately you need other ways to slow them down and cause lots of noise.

You can never stop crime, you can make it harder and get evidence and get convicted.

Although you can get out of prison by strapping yourself to the underside of a vehicle in the UK.
I’ve had to buy a Stoplock Pro Elite hopefully as a deterrent to would be thieves, see CCTV footage of a CanBus theft in Birmingham (same make as my car) done by prising the front bumper away to access the near side headlight so that they can do whatever it is they do, all in just over a minute.

According to the reviews of the storage boxes on Amazon (all using aluminium as a shield), they don’t always work, hence I wondered if lead would be better?

Sorry if is not the right sub for this mods, but this technical sub seemed the best place for my question.

Obviously, the thicker the better, but all that is needed is thick enough to prevent the transmissions of the key escaping if called to transmit. I would suggest an old fashioned OXO tin, or biscuit tin should be enough, but how to you protect the key, when its out of the tin and in use?

Me personally, I would be looking for alternative countermeasures, like a simple hidden switch to disable doors from unlocking, and a simple hidden switch to disable the ignition.

Obviously, the thicker the better, but all that is needed is thick enough to prevent the transmissions of the key escaping if called to transmit. I would suggest an old fashioned OXO tin, or biscuit tin should be enough, but how to you protect the key, when its out of the tin and in use?

Me personally, I would be looking for alternative countermeasures, like a simple hidden switch to disable doors from unlocking, and a simple hidden switch to disable the ignition.
Unfortunately the electrical systems on modern vehicles (CabBus) don’t lend themselves to be tampered with like older models.

On a few of my early cars in the 70’s it was a simple job of cutting the LT lead to the coil and splicing in a hidden switch or the feed to an electric fuel pump, things are so complicated these days you can easily throw up an error code or even invalidate your warranty.

old fashioned OXO tin, or biscuit tin .... at back of house, not next to front door (if car at front of house).

The systems I have seen have big pickup aerial and (presumably a strong signal amplifier) placed next to or against front door.

So the further the keys are from the car (or actually where people will stand with the pickup aerial) the better.

I would also be reverting back to using a steering/stop lock.

SFK

Keyless Entry and Keyless Start
For the keyless start i never know where to put the keys and not leave them loose in the car (normally at bottom of cup holder, but sometimes elsewhere so I loose them).

I (unfortunately seriously) keep thinking about making some sort of 'slotted receptical' to put into to keep them safe.

Last edited:
Yes, I never thought that I would be buying one again (I had a Krooklok in the 70’s) but having done a bit of research I opted for a Stoplock Pro Elite although they can be defeated it involves a lot of cutting / grinding, noise and more importantly time all things that hopefully the thieves will want to avoid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back