Iflo Richmond Thermostatic Bar Shower leaking at Unions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all.

I've recently taken an very old mira bar shower that I have replaced with a Iflo Richmond Thermostatic Bar Shower which is now leaking at the brass unions that were supplied (I took the old ones out).

The instructions specifically say not to use PTFE tape on the unions (the old mira shower DID have PTFE on the threads), so I have tried thick lithium grease and also plumbers mait but the leak still occurs. Looking at the old fittings coming out of the wall, it does appear that the left hand pipe sticking out is approx 2-3mm further which is the pipe that is leaking.

So, should I perhaps try and solve this by adding an additional rubber washer inside between the show and the union, or shall I just try some PTFE tape?

Or any other recommendations/suggestions would be most welcome, as the dripping shower drives me up the wall as it's right next to my side of the bed and I can hear it dripping all night!

Cheers

andy

Sponsored Links
If the seal is provided by a rubber washer, attempting to seal the threads will not help.

I had what sounds like a similar issue with a bristan mixer where the rubber washer was distorting as it was tightened. Replacing with a slightly thicker, sturdier washer solved the problem.

Sponsored Links
If the seal is provided by a rubber washer, attempting to seal the threads will not help.

I had what sounds like a similar issue with a bristan mixer where the rubber washer was distorting as it was tightened. Replacing with a slightly thicker, sturdier washer solved the problem.

Many thanks for the sound advice Elkato531

I'll see if I can pick up a collection of washers on my way home.

Andy

Washing Machine hose washers are good for this or sometimes you have to resort to using the large fibre washers, the type that's used on 3/4" connections contained in combi boilers.

Another problem can be aligning the 'dog leg' 1/2" x 3/4" brass nipples, that can also be a right James Hunt to get right.
HTH

Is it leaking between the shower and the unions, or between the unions and the fitting in the wall that they screw into?

A BIG Thanks to all that answered.

In the end - I took the washers out of the old tap (was still knocking around the garage) and they worked perfectly.

They were much thicker than the ones supplied and were also clear in colour, so suspect they were made out of a different type of rubber.

Anyway - all now sorted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back