iiyama vision pro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

what tests can i run to see if this monitor is now fautly ?

When recording default setting of osd with a camcorder I noticed flicker on cam lcd at every refresh rate except 100hz( 60-144hz tetsed).

Do the psu on these monitors go first ot crt ?

No noticeable defects apparent except top corners of display .

Does this montior need an appointment with a skip?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you are saying here. Are you trying to record an image of the screen with your camera? If this is the case, then you will experience flicker because the scan rates of the camera and monitor are not in synch. You get a similar strobing effect if you wave your hand in front of the monitor (unless you can match the refresh rate of the monitor).

What are the defects you are seeing in the corners?

Regards

Ian

Igorian said:
Not sure what you are saying here. Are you trying to record an image of the screen with your camera?

yes to keep a record of original settings of the OSD before changes
If this is the case, then you will experience flicker because the scan rates of the camera and monitor are not in synch. You get a similar strobing effect if you wave your hand in front of the monitor (unless you can match the refresh rate of the monitor).

How would I know would i know how to match it and would the cam pick up flicker at above 100hz ?

What are the defects you are seeing in the corners?

tapering out into corners

A good replacement for this monitor would be ?

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10265764&pid=44

anyone bought/used this monitor from here ?

or would an 17'' lcd be better ?

thanks

You will always get flicker because it is not possible to precisely synch the camera and monitor.

When you say tapering, do you mean like a pincushion effect? Can you post a picture of the raster shape? It could simply mean the monitor geometry is incorrectly set and should be adjustable via the OSD.

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
On professional video cameras such as used in television they have a shutter contol system which helps to stop the very effect you speak of, you probably will not have this level of sophistication on your camcorder so i'm afraid you are stuck with the lines sorry!

I may have been a bit presumptious in my remark regarding your camcorder, i have noticed several models have shutter speed control(electronic not mechanical) and yours may well have this facility so check your manual.

Igorian said:
You will always get flicker because it is not possible to precisely synch the camera and monitor.

When you say tapering, do you mean like a pincushion effect? Can you post a picture of the raster shape? It could simply mean the monitor geometry is incorrectly set and should be adjustable via the OSD

Have used all adjustments top 25mm of screen tapers out by 2mm

Will leave it as it is now :cry:

Thanks

kendor said:
On professional video cameras such as used in television they have a shutter contol system which helps to stop the very effect you speak of, you probably will not have this level of sophistication on your camcorder so i'm afraid you are stuck with the lines sorry!

It was borrowed camcorder showing flickering, but no lines as such.

The picture was clear without flicker at 100hz only if that means anything ?

Only used a cam once before to record bios setting, but had to take stills to enable the information to be read.

thanks for everyones input.

:confused:

the display is now shrinking at the sides ( 20mm black bars either side)

at random and then resizing back to normal :rolleyes: any suggestions or fixes ? :cry:

onion_soup said:
:confused:

the display is now shrinking at the sides ( 20mm black bars either side)

at random and then resizing back to normal :rolleyes: any suggestions or fixes ? :cry:
Have you checked all cable connections are tight and that all the pins are electrically sound? ie you have continuity end to end.
if cabling is ok then it may be a random or intermediate switching size/ resolution problem this may be faulty or bad connections inside, bad seating or soldering of chip components or possible fracture of the PCB tracks? have you plugged and unplugged the connection to the monitor frequently and perhaps used a bit too much force when inserting the plug?
if connection socket on monitor is soldered direct to the PCB with solid conductors then this type of connection is notorious for breaking down especially with constant movement around the plug and socket or cable snagging and pulling on the connection.

Sounds to me like your monitor may well be on the way out.

Re the flickering, the Standard for PAL in the UK is a refresh rate of 50hz or 100hz for the newer stuff. I would suggest that your borrowed camcorder is recording at a refresh rate of 100hz which is why you don't get a flicker at that setting.

BTW. why are you trying to record the OSD settings? do you think they are going to be lost somehow? I would have thought a good old fashioned bit of pen and paper would be of more use than try to find a vcr and tv nearby and matching up the settings!!

Merv

Edited to make adamw's post look confusing! ;)

50 million fields per second, eh? ;)

The camera is recording at a subharmonic of 100Hz. Either 25 or 50 fields per second (Presumably the monitor was tried at 75Hz, so I would guess the camcorder is working at 50 fields per second)

Therefore, for every frame the camcorder picks up, the monitor has repainted it twice.

Aliasing, nice. :D

Anyway, if you do decide to ditch the monitor (I wouldn't unless it is really bugging you) then I would recommend a TFT. I work with both CRTs and TFTs. I find that an hour or so at a CRT leaves me with tired eyes (running at 100Hz, good quality monitor). Yet a TFT leaves me with eyes as fresh as a daisy.

Which is why now that I (almost) need to replace my monitor, I have bought a TFT today. :D

Sponsored Links
Back