I'm having the time of my life before cutting UC for 6m

It wasn't a 'cut', it was the ending of a temporary measure, in the same way the furlough scheme has ended. I'd like Rishi to keep giving me grants, he won't though. Such is life.

yeah but it wasn’t enough to live on before.

Even IDS said it should not be lowered

Sponsored Links
The £50bn top up. You, your kids will be paying for it, start tightening your wallet.

No problem, surely? Arent we going to be awash with money now that weve left the EU and can therefore sell huge amounts more of all the goods we make, and at better terms, than we ever did or were able to do while the EU was preventing us?

No problem, surely? Arent we going to be awash with money now that weve left the EU and can therefore sell huge amounts more of all the goods we make, and at better terms, than we ever did or were able to do while the EU was preventing us?
Yes, that’s the plan…….

You'll have to explain how families on welfare will be able to "make stuff and sell huge amounts to other countries". Doesn't matter how well the country is doing, no government looks after the bottom of the pile properly.

Sponsored Links
I think you may be confusing me with someone who promised that we would be awash with money now that weve left the EU and can therefore sell huge amounts more of all the goods we make, and at better terms, than we ever did or were able to do while the EU was preventing us.

I heard someone on a local radio phone-in today saying she gave up some work when the extra £20 came in and she was better off, so now she was going to have to try to get her work back and it wasn't fair.

Was she short of money for food? "No that's free, down the food bank, innit."
Can she manage? "Well yeah, but you know, it's the principle like."
The interviewer was lost for words.

Yes, there is a principle there...

Last edited:
I heard someone on a local radio phone-in today saying she gave up some work when the extra £20 came in and she was better off, so now she was going to have to try to get her work back and it wasn't fair.

Was she short of money for food? "No that's free, down the food bank, innit."
Can she manage? "Well yeah, but you know, it's the principle like."
The interviewer was lost for words.

Yes, there is a principle there...
Who was the interviewer, I'll send him/her some words.

every sector in the UK is crying out for workers, and yet we have 1.3 million unemployed!
£20 is just a couple of hours work. - we have to get folk working again

£20 is just a couple of hours work.
For some. A few minutes for some others.

For people in a minimum wage job who are receiving UC it takes considerably more than an extra couple of hours work to end up with an extra £20.

UC claimants have to work more than six hours extra a week to get that.

Minimum wage for over-23s is £8.91.

Claimants are subject to a 63p reduction in their benefits for every £1 they earn if they make more than £293 a month.

That means many minimum-wage claimants only gain £3.30 for each extra hour they work – before any National Insurance, Income Tax and pension contributions are deducted.

So before NI etc, that £20 needs over 6 hours work, and when accounting for NI etc, the Resolution Foundation calculates that Universal Credit claimants take home as little as £2.24 for every hour worked, i.e. almost nine hours.

The Foundation says that the 63 per cent taper rate in Universal Credit, which is based on post-tax earnings, means that Universal Credit claimants only take home 37p of extra pound earned (due to a lower benefit award), falling to 25.2p if they earn enough to pay income tax and employee National Insurance.

From April this will fall to 24.7p as National Insurance rises.

every sector in the UK is crying out for workers, and yet we have 1.3 million unemployed!
£20 is just a couple of hours work. - we have to get folk working again
What many fail to understand is that much of that work is either temporary or zero hours contracts...

And having taken up said work, when it ends the delays in getting benefits back make people think twice...

The whole system needs to be changed so when someone is able to work they then do, but then they shouldn't have to go through so many hoops and wait so long to get their benefits back.
Millions are literally living week by week money wise!

Sponsored Links
Back