Immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My immersion heater has stopped heating water. I have changed the thermostat (easiest quickest sloution?) but still no hot water.

I have now drained the tank, (purchased a box spanner to remove the element but it will not budge despite intense efforts to shift it, whilst the tank was full for extra rigidity as suggested elsewhere)

I know they un screw anti clock wise, any tips for getting these bastards out? :oops: without wrecking the tank.
Thanks in advance, anyone?

Sponsored Links
Best tool by miles is a cast iron thing you can hit with a hammer. Not madly hard but eventually they move.

Next best is a box spanner ans a long long stillson over that. With steady pressure, the gooey compounds often move slowly

If it's been put in with sealing compound like boss-white, it'll need to be softened with heat (blowlamp). You may need to let some water out first.
Watch the insulation - it burns badly!

There are more radical techniques involving a jigsaw or a dremel...

ChrisR said:
Best tool by miles is a cast iron thing you can hit with a hammer. Not madly hard but eventually they move.

Next best is a box spanner ans a long long stillson over that. With steady pressure, the gooey compounds often move slowly

If it's been put in with sealing compound like boss-white, it'll need to be softened with heat (blowlamp). You may need to let some water out first.

My tank has the element right at the bottom of the tank, hence emptying otherwise it I'll have x number of litres of water all over the shop.
So the best option is the ring spanner available from leading merchants and some reasonable force. Using a blow torch would surely ignite the insulation.

lc04 said:
ChrisR said:

My tank has the element right at the bottom of the tank, hence emptying otherwise it I'll have x number of litres of water all over the shop.
So the best option is the ring spanner available from leading merchants and some reasonable force. Using a blow torch would surely ignite the insulation.

*bump*

Sponsored Links
So the best option is the ring spanner available from leading merchants and some reasonable force.
not what I said

Using a blow torch would surely ignite the insulation.
If you're careless, sure.

lc04 said:
I have changed the thermostat (easiest quickest sloution?) but still no hot water.
lc04 said:
Phew, changing the 'stat alone did the trick, nee need for any of the above. Cheers.
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back