Disconnection of Immersion Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m a female with no plumbing knowledge. My hot water tank is in the airing cupboard, I have an immersion heater (never used) and a boiler that serves the hot water and central heating.
If the immersion heater is switched on it trips the RCD. Dynorod plumber said it is faulty, he couldn’t get the thermostat out and the earthing rod has snapped off, said he would need to drain water off and if he can’t get the element out would mean a new tank. As we have never used the immersion heater in 20 years he said he can just disconnect it and that it will have no impact on how we have always used the boiler for our hot water. He said the immersion heater is only there really as a back up if the boiler failed. (We had a new boiler 3 years ago.)

Is it ok and safe for the plumber to disconnect the immersion heater by removing the electrical cable between the top of the immersion heater and the on/off switch in the airing cupboard, the switch in the fuse box for water heater would be left in the off position? Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Disconnect the cable from the switch, do not leave the cable live.

An experienced old plumber should be able to remove a seized immersion heater, though. The cylinder does not need to be emptied if (as usual) the element is at the top

See if you can get any personal recommendations of a local independent.

Just to confirm, disconnect the wiring at each end.

Also, I have never had an immersion that I cound not remove, even had to result in cutting the immersion out by drilling it out, then cutting towards the threads to remove.
But your policy would not cover this, they would want to fit a new cylinder to gain more money.
As John mentions get a recormendation for an older plumber!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Cloth cap, blue overalls, gnarled hands, roll-up behind his ear

Disconnect the cable from the switch, do not leave the cable live.

An experienced old plumber should be able to remove a seized immersion heater, though. The cylinder does not need to be emptied if (as usual) the element is at the top

See if you can get any personal recommendations of a local independent.
Thank you JohnD and Andy, very much appreciated. I’m ok with it being disconnected, just wanted to make sure it is left safe. The cable has been removed so no live wires coming out of the on/off switch which is labelled water heater disconnected do not use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back