Immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help on this Christmas Eve. At this moment in time I have no hot water. I have a problem with a blocked pipe in the central heating system (a whole different problem) which requires me to now use the immersion heater rather than the oil-fired boiler.

However when I switch on the immersion heater, it trips the RCD between 0 and 5 seconds. I have connected the immersion switch directly to the immersion heater and it still trips between approx 0 and 5 seconds (therefore eliminating the thermostat). When I disconnected the immersion heater and left the wires in mid-air, the RCD does not trip. I therefore suspected the immersion heater. I then measured the resistance across the immersion heater (live and neutral) and it is 18 ohms (as expected). I connected the immersion to a 40 Amp RCD (rather than the 20 Amp circuit it is usually on) and it still tripped.

I therefore think I need a new immersion heater, but don't understand why I get the correct resistance across the immersion heater. Any other ideas please?

Sponsored Links
RCD checks for current leaking to earth. although your element is reading the correct resistance, the element is leaking current to earth.
You can prove this by using a Mega and reading between element casing and one of the terminals i.e. live. You should get a minimum reading greater than 2M ohms anything less and RCD will trip. However, the fact that your RCD is tripping already proves this so new Immersion element required.

Harry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back