Immersion Heater change problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My immersion heater needs replacing, I have tested the stat for continuity and it is OK and the resistance of the heater is higher than it should be. I have no hot water, I have no boiler just storage heaters and immersion heaters in my flat. The fuse and power to the immersion heater terminal is all good.

I am struggling to remove the immersion from the cylinder, it is very hard. I have a box typr immersion spanner and it fits well but is just so stiff.

Is there any tips I can use to remove it please as I need some hot water :)

Any help is so appreciated by me and my wife!!

Sponsored Links
many ways to free them
extra leverage on the box spanner - but be careful not to twist the cylinder.
heat it if you have a blow torch.
cold chisel and tap it round.
or drill it out.

I have heard that thr cylinder could split with too excessive force on it. Is this very likely or an out chance?

I like the sound of the drilling it. Would a normal masonry drill bit do the trick?

Thanks for your help by the way.

I have heard that thr cylinder could split with too excessive force on it. Is this very likely or an out chance?
not so much split but crease.
make sure the cylinder is still full of water till you slacken it off.
only ever had 1 or 2 very old cylinder start to show signs of failing when removing the immersion.
I like the sound of the drilling it. Would a normal masonry drill bit do the trick?

Thanks for your help by the way.

no you need a hss drill bit and hacksaw blade.

imm2.jpg

imm3.jpg

Sponsored Links
sorry what is a hss bit? is it a n adaptor than can hold a blade? do they sell them in screwfix?

Thanks for helping me, I really apprecaite your kindness,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back