New Immersion Heater leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our boiler (HW and CH) stopped working yesterday so we tried to switch on the immersion heater in our hot water tank so that we at least have hot water until the RGI comes out on Friday but unfortunately it didn't work. As the neon light on the immersion heater switch comes on when it is switched on and it worked fine previously we decided the immersion heater was probably bust as it is pretty old (15+ years). We have bought a new immersion heater, it has the gasket seal on it and I PTFE taped the thread but when I screw it in and refilled the hot water tank it leaks around the immersion heater and I have tightened it as much as I possibly can (using an immersion heater wrench).

Is there something I have done wrong or a technique I can use to tighten the immersion heater further to stop it leaking?

Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
take the ptfe off the thread, all your doing is making it tight to screw in.
the fibre washer is the seal that prevents it leaking.

Thanks for the advice I unscrewed the immersion heater and rescrewed it in without the PTFE tape and managed to get it about a quarter turn further round and this seems to have stopped the leak and we now have some hot water :)

Sponsored Links
36_1_11.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back