Immersion System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have got a friend who has just moved into rented accommodation. The property has no gas, instead water is heated via an immersion tank. It seems to have two elements (top and bottom of tank) with a switch for each. One is marked as "off-peak" the other as "water heater"? Could someone explain what each switch does, and explain the most efficient/comfortable way to use an immersion system?

I am guessing the "off-peak" is for when low amounts of hot water are required as only one element is on, but is it cost effective to leave this on always, or still as and when?

Also, approx how long do they usual take to heat?

Thanks in advance sorry for all the questions.

Sponsored Links
The off peak bottom element is cheap electricity and will be auto switched. Leave on 24 hrs.

The ON peak element near the top is to reheat if you run out water during the day. Leave off as its more expensive to use.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

So it is all linked to Eco7 electric then, or whatever it is called? So in theory you can have hot water 24 hrs a day still with this system.

The cylinder has two heaters, ok, but that doesn't say anything about how it's been installed. You might find there's a timer , or it's a timed meter with two outputs, so heater use is managed for you to be cheaper at night. Then you might heat the whole thing at night while it costs less and just use the upper heater for topping up during the day.

But if you've just got two switches connected to one single-rate supply, thet won't work. Start by looking at the meter - does it have two dials?

Sponsored Links
And it is very important that the cylinder should be well-insulated. Modern cylinders have factory-applied stiff foam coatings in pale blue/green, otherwise you need (preferably two layers of) those red quilty jackets, and foam lagging on the hot pipes near the cylinder.

A well-insulated cylinder, heated up overnight on cheap-rate, will still be hot enough for a bath the next evening.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Firstly the property/system looks very modern. The tank has the factory fitted yellow foam insulation.

There are only two switches I can not see any timer devices within the property at all.

The electric meter does have two dials/electronic readings. One says low and other normal.

So I guess the low rate ticks over during the night whilst the normal is for the day. How does this all work though? Is it that the electric low rate is only applies to the immersion supply, or is there some kind of timed device that tells the immersion to turn on over night only, or is it a case of having to leave on over night then manually switch off in the morning?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again.

If you can lay your hands on a digital camera and take a picture of the meters and the consumer units and the cables between them, and preferably the switches and cables by the cylinder, we can probably answer that very easily.

Otherwise it is possible to describe what to look for but that is a bit more tiring and much slower.

Cheers. When it is light I will get the camera out and post back. Meter is outside you see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back