redring immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need some help and info from you people

I have no hot water on my tank but when i put the booster on then i have hot water

This make me think that the immersion heater element has gone
but the booster part of the element works there is only one heater unit

Where can i get a redring TR27T element from or is there a retro one

The immersion heater is connected into a swicth that has one switch off/on and the other sink/bath does this mean that there are three elements in one unit and the booster is a horstmann

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have two elements.

One element heats from the bottom of the cylinder so that it's entire contents are heated and there is enough water for a "Bath"

The other elemement is located at the top and heats just the top of the cylinder, enough water for a "Sink"

Usually the bottom element is connected to a timeswitch and operates on a low rate tarrif (eg Economy 7) to heat the whole tank with cheaper electricity.

Then in case you run out of hot water during the day when cheaper electricity is not available, the 'Boost' turns the top element on for a short period of say 1 Hour.

However you seem to have a switch that allows you to manually select Sink or Bath. So whilst the fault is likely to be the element, it could be the timeswitch, the sink/bath switch, the on/off switch, or even the wiring.

I think the Redring was what was known as a "twimersion" where the two elements (one longer and one shorter) are combined in a single unit mounted at the top of the cylinder. Does that sound like what you have? or do you have two physically separate elements one located near the bottom of the cylinder and one near the top?

If it is a Twin element unit, you don't have to replace it with a Redring, but you will have to make sure that the new one is the correct length for your cylinder. Twin immersions seem in short supply these days, so you might not find one. If not, you may have to use a single element and control it so that the boost and timed settings use just the one element.

hi

I have only the one element

I have delt with systems with two but this does not have one night mare

I ran a multimeter and i dont have power to the element, but when i put boost on i have power in the centre element, i have 240v at the switch

there is loads of wire coming out the witch to the element, all brown

Hi
I have posted about the problem with my hot water tank

But it seem to cost a lot for the twimersion redring immersion heater

I was wondering could i just remove the element and fit one that is a retro one or do i need to replace the tank

Or would it be better to take the whole tank out and buy the whole new tank and heater as thet tank is old and the element

Help

Sponsored Links
New hot water cylinders are not supplied with immersion heaters, only a threaded boss to accept one, so changing the cylinder won't help in your case.

You can fit any immersion into the boss, twin or otherwise, just make sure it's the correct length, that's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back